every single user should have its “own” media streaming library RRS feed

• General discussion

• Is there no way, giving to every single user an “own” media streaming library? I expected after connecting the media library via browser, that every single user has access to its own pictures, videos or sound.
    I don’t wanna share the media library to the rest of the whs-users (or maybe just some parts like my music), though should every whs-user be able to access its own media remotely.

My advice; after creating a new user, the whs-system should create for every single user its own pictures, videos and sound folder, which gets loaded, after connecting to the WHS-Remote Access Web Site.

Is there any solution which solves this lack of remote access? This would be a real benefit, or am I wrong!?

• Changed type jc4shizzle Friday, June 11, 2010 8:13 AM
    • Changed type jc4shizzle Friday, June 11, 2010 8:14 AM its a discussion
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:47 AM

All replies

• You should submit your product suggestion on Connect.

That said, probably it would make more sense for streaming to use the permissions set in the Dashboard, rather than having separate libraries per user.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:52 AM
  • I guess what js117 is complaining is, access control over Shared Folder doesn't work on the media streaming web access.

The answer to this question is, yes, this is the behavior we designed (of course it maybe misdesign :)). The media streaming web component is designed as yet another DLNA client for WHS (DNLA server), which doesn't take per-user access control. Put it in another example, if you have an xbox in your home, regardless of user access control, any body use that XBOX can see all media content shared on WHS using media streaming. It's kind of the same implication that once you decide to share media content on WHS via media streaming function, the sharing content will be available to all devices and people in the house - XBOXes, WMP 11+ on home computers, including Remote Web Acess.

But I also take your point of the inconsistency between shared folder and media page, feel free to log a connect bug if you feel strong about it.

Thanks.

windows home server team

If they wanna solve this by using the user-permissions, they have to re-design their whole media streaming web component concept, right? On one site I do understand their thoughts, but just when it comes to use DLNA-Clients/Devices… because there is no way to identify the end-user behind it. But on the other hand via web-login, it is such a clear and classic user authentication?! Can’t get the point why whs-team acts like that.

cheers

Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:23 AM
  • What you initially asked for requires dealing with permissions as well. And no, if you're using the streaming feature of Vail to a DLNA client, you're probably not going to be able to use permissions; many DLNA clients don't have a way to set up users, etc. But if you're using e.g. Windows Media Player, I would like to see streaming do a better job. You might have two Music folders, for example:

\\Server\Raffi (for the kids)

\\Server\Gangsta (for the adults)

with permissions based on the logged in user (even a 5 year old kid can learn to type a simple password, and will usually be really proud of being able to do so) so little Muffy can't get to your collection of rap music.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:47 PM