Windows Media Services in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I just obtained HP ex495. I wonder about Windows Media Services . What is it for? As of now, it is unchecked when I remote control and open Add/Remove Windows Components.

Also, which software gives the best support to multiple video formats (avi, mpg, etc.)?

Thanks
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:19 AM

Answers

• Thanks for replies.

I managed servers in my past life, remote desktop is fine, how otherwise I would move GBs of data around the server - copying from share to share takes forever.

WHS isn't like other server OSes.  Moving data around like that (D:\shares) is unsupported and has caused other users (including me when I tested it) problems in the past due to the way Drive Extender works.

About WMS, I get it, I guess no special use for me as I'm only curious about streaming videos to my Samsung series 7 TV, and that in general works fine, except in the cases explained below.

What I don;t know about is why some MPGs play while other don't. Even after converting them to MP4. Also, some videos can be managed by TV's remote (pause, play, FF, RW) while other cannot. I use TwonkyMedia as Windows based streaming is quite unfirendly from video format support perspective.
    Why is that?

Thanks.

P.S.
    It looks I'm yet to determine what's on the side of WHS, and what on HP part itself.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:46 AM

All replies

• I just obtained HP ex495. I wonder about Windows Media Services . What is it for? As of now, it is unchecked when I remote control and open Add/Remove Windows Components.

First, logging into the server desktop is unsupported.  Second, I would strongly recommend not adding any components from the server desktop because they could very well break some function of WHS.  As for what is it, you should check the Window Media Services website.

Also, which software gives the best support to multiple video formats (avi, mpg, etc.)?

Thanks

Monday, January 4, 2010 4:41 AM
  • I'm using the built in media sharing, use the console to turn this on. (Don't use rdp/remote desktop unless you know what you are doing.)
    However, it is worth knowing the differences between recorded tv and video. The tv folder is not accessible with the built-in UPnP media sharing. (I realised this myself after I sorted my 800 GB of TV series last week, and ended up having to move it all to the video share). I personally don't see the point of having duplication on my tv series or movies, but on my own videos it's very much needed.

Personally I would prefer to have separate folders for my own videos, tv-series and movies. Perhaps even a separate folder for the music videos etc, but the only easy way to to this with the default settings in whs is to add separate subfolders to the videos folder. (Or am I missing something?)
    Monday, January 4, 2010 11:38 AM
  • Thanks for replies.

I managed servers in my past life, remote desktop is fine, how otherwise I would move GBs of data around the server - copying from share to share takes forever.

About WMS, I get it, I guess no special use for me as I'm only curious about streaming videos to my Samsung series 7 TV, and that in general works fine, except in the cases explained below.

What I don;t know about is why some MPGs play while other don't. Even after converting them to MP4. Also, some videos can be managed by TV's remote (pause, play, FF, RW) while other cannot. I use TwonkyMedia as Windows based streaming is quite unfirendly from video format support perspective.
    Why is that?

Thanks.

P.S.
    It looks I'm yet to determine what's on the side of WHS, and what on HP part itself.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Thanks for replies.

WHS isn't like other server OSes.  Moving data around like that (D:\shares) is unsupported and has caused other users (including me when I tested it) problems in the past due to the way Drive Extender works.

Why is that?

Thanks.

P.S.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:46 AM