Open opportunities screen - make follow up date appear RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I access my open opportunities, I want to be able to see next follow up date. I mean if I have generated a follow up task for an opportunity I want to be able to see the date in the general overview of my open opportunities. Is this possible? Is there a work around?

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:14 AM

Answers

• Hello.

This is possible with customizations.

Add DateTime field to opportunity. Create WF which will fire when some activity is created. In this workflow check that regarding object of activity is opportunity. Update created custom datetime field to follow up date of activity.

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:34 AM

All replies

• Hello.

This is possible with customizations.

Add DateTime field to opportunity. Create WF which will fire when some activity is created. In this workflow check that regarding object of activity is opportunity. Update created custom datetime field to follow up date of activity.

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:34 AM
  • Andriy's suggested solution will work for simple scenarios.

However, this kind of requirement can get pretty complicated. For example:

If I add Task1 due tomorrow, then Task2 due day after tomorrow, the workflow will show the Next Action date as day after tomorrow. I'd need to compare the due dates of the two tasks before updating the opportunity Next Action and this can't be done with a standard workflow rule.

If I complete Task1 tomorrow as scheduled, I would expect the Next Action date to be the due date of Task2. Unfortunately, this can't be achieved with a standard workflow rule either.

Then there are all the other scenarios like reassigning, deleting, cancelling, and rescheduling activities and working out how these should affect the opportunity Next Action date. So some complex logic is going to have to be included in our Next Action feature -- so a plugin is usually required to achieve this requirement.

Sorry this doesn't help you much... but I hope a simple workflow is sufficient for you.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Hi Andriy,

thanks for your answer. Can you describe in more detail how this workflow is created? When I choose new workflow I choose entity "Opportunity", right? Then for scope, I choose Organization, right? Start when "record is created"? Available to run - "as a child workflow"?

Which step do I then choose? and so forth?

I am not that experienced in creating workflows, unfortunately.. Would be great with some more help.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Hi, the workflow will fire on Task creation, not Opportunity.  You'll want to add a step that checks the Regarding field of the task and if the Regarding field is an Opportunity then updated the custom date field that you added to the Opportunity to display the due date of the task.

Regards, Donna

Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:09 PM