none
My Computers & Backup tab is Gone! RRS feed

• Question

• I don't have a clue what's up with this...  When I bring up the Windows Home Server Console the Computers & Backup tab is simply missing.  I have the following tabs:

1. MediaSmart Server
    2. User Accounts
    3. Shared Folders
    4. Server Storage
    5. Manage Websites
    6. McAfee Total Protection
    7. PV Connect

Don't know if this helps, but here's the versions installed:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.8
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

The tab used to be there, but I don't know when it departed as I haven't accessed the console for quite a while.  Everything else appears to be working.  I only noticed when I connected my wifi desktop to the server for the first time today and when it was finished installing the connector software it had a notification saying the backup setting was turned off.  So I went to the console and couldn't find the Computers & Backup tab.

Thnaks, Al
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 3:19 AM

Answers

• AlPCFL said:

I 've installed four add-ins from the console, Whiist, PVConnect, WebGuide and McAfee Total Protection.  I haven't installed/unistalled any add-ins.  These add-in have been installed for a while and while not positive I'm fairly sure the tab was there after they were installed.

I've installed one program from the server desktop itself, Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005.  I was trying to start a Asp website.

Thanks, Al

Unfortunately, the only supported method is Server Reinstallation (or in your case, since you have an HP MSS, Server Recovery).  That wipes the OS partition but leaves the rest of the data alone.

If you do a search in this forum for backup tab missing, you will see a few other posts with the same situation as you.  As I recall, some of them were due to an add-in that caused it.  That's why I asked.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:31 PM

All replies

• AlPCFL said:

I don't have a clue what's up with this...  When I bring up the Windows Home Server Console the Computers & Backup tab is simply missing.  I have the following tabs:

1. MediaSmart Server
    2. User Accounts
    3. Shared Folders
    4. Server Storage
    5. Manage Websites
    6. McAfee Total Protection
    7. PV Connect

Don't know if this helps, but here's the versions installed:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.8
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

The tab used to be there, but I don't know when it departed as I haven't accessed the console for quite a while.  Everything else appears to be working.  I only noticed when I connected my wifi desktop to the server for the first time today and when it was finished installing the connector software it had a notification saying the backup setting was turned off.  So I went to the console and couldn't find the Computers & Backup tab.

Thnaks, Al

Have you installed any add-ins (or apps from the server desktop)?  If so, which ones (including any add-ins that you may have installed then uninstalled)?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 3:35 AM
  • I 've installed four add-ins from the console, Whiist, PVConnect, WebGuide and McAfee Total Protection.  I haven't installed/unistalled any add-ins.  These add-in have been installed for a while and while not positive I'm fairly sure the tab was there after they were installed.

I've installed one program from the server desktop itself, Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005.  I was trying to start a Asp website.

Thanks, Al
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:05 PM
  • AlPCFL said:

I 've installed four add-ins from the console, Whiist, PVConnect, WebGuide and McAfee Total Protection.  I haven't installed/unistalled any add-ins.  These add-in have been installed for a while and while not positive I'm fairly sure the tab was there after they were installed.

Thanks, Al

Unfortunately, the only supported method is Server Reinstallation (or in your case, since you have an HP MSS, Server Recovery).  That wipes the OS partition but leaves the rest of the data alone.

If you do a search in this forum for backup tab missing, you will see a few other posts with the same situation as you.  As I recall, some of them were due to an add-in that caused it.  That's why I asked.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:31 PM