How do I reinstall a new key to replace the invalid one RRS feed

• Question

• It looks as though I am another one scammed by ebay software pirates.  My question is, I originally had home premium installed and then used the key to upgrade to Ultimate.  Can  I purchase another edition of Windows 7 Ultimate and then punch in that key or do I have to downgrade back to Home Premium and then go through it again?
    WC
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:08 AM

Answers

• I see in another thread you purchased a WGA kit. That is a full, independant retail license. This frees up your home premium upgrade for use on a different computer, aht key should be not be affected by the non genuine ultimate key you had.

Anyway, I hope I understand this correctly and that you have one good Ultimate from the WGA, and one unused home premium license that you can reuse if you have a computer with a qualifying OS.

As for the questions above, there are just too many variations but I can say that the anytime upgrade key will update home premium to ultimate (if that is what it says on the packaging or the reciept e-mail if bought from MS Store). A full version retail key can also be used to perform an upgrade. A full version key can be used for upgrade installs however an upgrade key will not work with a clean install, booting from the DVD. This is twisted and convoluted, the best way to remember it is that a full key does not have limits on how it can be installed, an upgrade key does.

Case in point, on a test computer I installed Starter to gain some experience with it, after a week or so I wanted to install the pro version on that computer. I didn't want to do a clean install so used one of my professional keys and the anytime upgrade process to upgrade to pro. 10 minutes and a reboot later it was running pro. I would not be able to do this with upgrade keys unless there happened to be a starter to professional key, which I believe does not exist. I can do this without violating any licensing agreement because my starter key is a full version and my professional key is a full version. My starter key is an OEM key which has other restrictions.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:58 PM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:46 PM

All replies

• "WendyC" wrote in message news:3d24a943-bafd-4a78-9e17-3742ef8d88c5...
    It looks as though I am another one scammed by ebay software pirates.  My question is, I originally had home premium installed and then used the key to upgrade to Ultimate.  Can  I purchase another edition of Windows 7 Ultimate and then punch in that key or do I have to downgrade back to Home Premium and then go through it again?
    WC

I'm unclear as to which license you think was counterfeit?
    If the original Home Premium was the counterfeit, then you only need to purchase a Home Premium, and then reinstall using that license, followed by an Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate using your legitimate Key
    If the Ultimate is the counterfeit, then you can use a retail full license to make the system genuine - I'm not certain whether an upgrade license would work without a reinstall (one of the other regulars may know more).
    --

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, September 24, 2010 7:58 AM
  • I am like 99% certain you can replace the key with a FULL version key. and activate it. If you buy a new license through MS store or buy a WGA kit you should be able to just change the key. If you attempt it and it will not accept the key then you will have to do a fresh install of the full version ultimate. You would not have to perform an upgrade UNLESS the ultimate key you purchase is an upgrade key.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 12:26 PM
  • I have a valid UPGRADE retail version of Home Premium - upgraded from Vista to Home Premium then used a product key to upgrade from HP to Ultimate.  Its weird because it has worked fine for 4 months.  It is the Ulitmate that is not legit.  It was supposed to have been an anytime upgrade.  Can I just purchase a new anytime upgrade and put in the key to that since the upgrade just unlocks Ultimate anyway?  Why would an anytime upgrade not work on Home Premium to Ultimate without having to reinstall Home Premium?  How do I obtain a WGA kit?  I don't see it listed anywhere in the microsoft store

WC
    Friday, September 24, 2010 2:53 PM
  • I see in another thread you purchased a WGA kit. That is a full, independant retail license. This frees up your home premium upgrade for use on a different computer, aht key should be not be affected by the non genuine ultimate key you had.

Anyway, I hope I understand this correctly and that you have one good Ultimate from the WGA, and one unused home premium license that you can reuse if you have a computer with a qualifying OS.

As for the questions above, there are just too many variations but I can say that the anytime upgrade key will update home premium to ultimate (if that is what it says on the packaging or the reciept e-mail if bought from MS Store). A full version retail key can also be used to perform an upgrade. A full version key can be used for upgrade installs however an upgrade key will not work with a clean install, booting from the DVD. This is twisted and convoluted, the best way to remember it is that a full key does not have limits on how it can be installed, an upgrade key does.

Case in point, on a test computer I installed Starter to gain some experience with it, after a week or so I wanted to install the pro version on that computer. I didn't want to do a clean install so used one of my professional keys and the anytime upgrade process to upgrade to pro. 10 minutes and a reboot later it was running pro. I would not be able to do this with upgrade keys unless there happened to be a starter to professional key, which I believe does not exist. I can do this without violating any licensing agreement because my starter key is a full version and my professional key is a full version. My starter key is an OEM key which has other restrictions.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:58 PM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Thanks Carl, Yes, I found where to purchase WGA kit and gave them a call to make sure I wouldn't have to do a reinstall of anything.  It worked great.  The validation was a little wierd - took me to a popup that again said my key wasn't valid but had a link to resolve so I clicked that and was taken to a Microsoft site that did validate my new key.I'm really glad that Microsoft had this option available, saved my life!

Its good to know that my Home Premium version is freed up for use on another computer now.  At least that will make up a little for all my extra costs.  I like the OS though, it has been so much better than Vista and XP.

WC
    Friday, September 24, 2010 8:59 PM