Background Music in W7 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Installed W7 RC a week ago, yesterday at boot before W7 load background music is being played. I continues after W7 start. No other symptoms.
     I have run Defender, Avast, Adaware, Spybot. Nothing is found. Were is the music coming from. How do I stop it assuming it is not a virus
    Toshiba Qosmio G20 Laptop
    regards allan
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Sunday, September 20, 2009 3:56 AM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Sunday, September 20, 2009 3:56 AM Off topic. (From:Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats)
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 12:02 AM

All replies

• The forum you posted to is for the discussion of Microsoft Security Essentials beta.You can get help with Windows 7 here - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 3:58 AM
  • Jim,

Went to this site there doesnt appear to be any thread discussing my issue. Am I doing something wrong? Do I wait for an answer from this forum? I dont use these forums very often and am unfamiliar with procedures.

To elaborate. There is no music on the PC other than the preloaded sample files supplied with W7. Given the music starts up just after boot, could it be a "root kit" issue. I have not found a root kit checker on line I am comfortable downloading and running. The music seems to continue regardless of being connected to the internet or not so it would seem it it not being "streamed from the internet". This issued has become apparent since I loaded W7 RC but it may be a bios, or firmware issue with the laptop.

I have loaded W7 RC on another old home desktop (Pentium 4) and it seems OK. I know this sounds all very strange but there it is!

regards Allan
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:10 PM
  • I've seen this issue posted before but i don't remember where. You can repost your original question here - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/threads where you have the best chance of someone who has seen the issue before posting a solution to this issue.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Allan,

Did you ever find a solution to this?  It's making me insane!!!

Tom
    Friday, November 20, 2009 10:32 PM
  • Tlemire,

Sorry for the delay in answering.

What was happening was I had connected a TV antenna to my laptop and from bootup sound from a TV station was being played through the speakers - and co-incidentaly was soft music!!!. What was required to stop the sound from being played was to mute that input in the sound manager. So it had nothing directly to do with W7. It was a coincidence the music from that input on this laptop was always piped to the speakers right from startup. Not seen that before, always needed an application running ie Media player or MCE to be active.

But, like you it was driving me insane where this music was coming from.... as it turned out a stupid thing!! (me that is)

allan
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:08 AM