Windows Home Server Technet version on 120 day trial RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have the 120 day WHS trial installed, I now have the full version of WHS which i downloaded from Technet but when I tried installing, I don't get an option to do a Server Reinstall, I only get the clean install option, I have a lot of data already stored in my Home Server and I would hate to lose the data. Any ideas?

One more issue, my computer also reboots itself multiple times when I try to install WHS, it says Setup is loading files and then reboots.

Thanks!
    • Moved by kariya21Moderator Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:47 PM installation question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 7:16 AM

Answers

• Kariya,

Thank you for your help, I switched the SATA IDE cables and restarted the installation and this time I got the Server Reinstallation option! :) Reboots have also stopped once I powered it off my regular PSU.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by Tornado54 Saturday, June 6, 2009 4:07 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I have the 120 day WHS trial installed, I now have the full version of WHS which i downloaded from Technet but when I tried installing, I don't get an option to do a Server Reinstall, I only get the clean install option, I have a lot of data already stored in my Home Server and I would hate to lose the data. Any ideas?

Did you add hard drives after installing the eval?  If so, how many?  What types were they?  What is your current hard drive configuration (number of drives, size and type of each drive, which drive is primary, etc.)?

One more issue, my computer also reboots itself multiple times when I try to install WHS, it says Setup is loading files and then reboots.

Thanks!

Did it do that when you installed the eval?  If you've added hard drives afterward, your power supply might not be able to handle the additional load.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Thanks for your reply kariya,

I have two hard drives both SATA
    1. Seagate 250GB
    2. Western Digital Green

I added the Western Digital Green after installing the eval version. The Seagate 250 GB is the primary.

You are probably right about the additional load, I use a PicoPSU 120 so i guess it's not able to take the load. I do have another PSU I can use so that shouldn't be a problem. What do you suggest on the re-installation though? should i disconnect the Western Digital Green and try again? or would WHS format it when i reconnect it after the installation?

Thank you for your help
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Thanks for your reply kariya,

I have two hard drives both SATA
    1. Seagate 250GB
    2. Western Digital Green

I added the Western Digital Green after installing the eval version. The Seagate 250 GB is the primary.

Are both drives connected directly to the mobo?  Are you using the drives in IDE/Legacy mode?  When you boot from the DVD, do both drives show up in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen?

You are probably right about the additional load, I use a PicoPSU 120 so i guess it's not able to take the load. I do have another PSU I can use so that shouldn't be a problem. What do you suggest on the re-installation though? should i disconnect the Western Digital Green and try again?

No.

or would WHS format it when i reconnect it after the installation?

Yes, WHS automatically formats any drive when you add it to the storage pool.

Thank you for your help

Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Kariya,

Thank you for your help, I switched the SATA IDE cables and restarted the installation and this time I got the Server Reinstallation option! :) Reboots have also stopped once I powered it off my regular PSU.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by Tornado54 Saturday, June 6, 2009 4:07 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:55 PM