Vail Installation Questions RRS feed

• Question

• 2 questions:

1. Can I install Vail from a USB drive, and if so, is there a procedure on how to do this?

2. I have an Asus MA785-M Mobo - Asus doesn't seem to have drivers for Server 2008 - they have Win2003, by which I assume they mean Sever 2003. Should I install those? Or go with Win 7 dirvers? (Or maybe I won't need the drivers at all?)

Thx!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:17 PM

Answers

• 1. Can I install Vail from a USB drive, and if so, is there a procedure on how to do this?

2. I have an Asus MA785-M Mobo - Asus doesn't seem to have drivers for Server 2008 - they have Win2003, by which I assume they mean Sever 2003. Should I install those? Or go with Win 7 dirvers? (Or maybe I won't need the drivers at all?)

1. Depending on your hardware configuration you should be able to install any modern Windows OS from a USB drive.
    You may want to check out this article: How to Install Windows Home Server Vail from a USB Flash Drive

2. Your hardware needs to be compatible with Windows 2008 Server.
    That said VAIL is based on the 64-bits version of Windows 2008 Server which shares its OS software architecture with Windows 7. In case drivers are not available for 2008 you can try drivers supporting Windows 7. Note that you do need the 64 bits versions!

(Asuming you are referring to the ASYS M4A785-M motherboard: ASUS does have support for Windows 7 64 bits)

When installing VAIL set the BIOS for SATA/IDE mode (no special SATA drivers needed) and try to use the default drivers supplied on the VAIL installation DVD. Once installed you can update drivers that are not available. Most modern hardware and chipsets are supported however. As WHS/VAIL is designed to run headless you only need (optional) Video support for occasionally admin log-ins to the desktop.  So best to leave the video drivers to Standard VGA. Also you do not need audio for a server (so leave the audio device disabled - no drivers needed)

Apart from the chipset drivers, next most important would be the drivers for the NIC. Unless supported by the default (or unstable) try to find Windows 7 drivers (check the manufacturors website) or maybe add an additional standard PCI NIC that is.

And please remember: VAIL is beta. So don't trust you data to it without proper external backups?
    Have fun,
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:19 PM

All replies

• On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:17:08 +0000, jefffirefly wrote:

1. Can I install Vail from a USB drive, and if so, is there a procedure on how to do this?

Read the release notes.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Found them: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/vail/release-notes-2.aspx

So it looks like the answer is no, which is too bad.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:45 PM
  • On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:45:46 +0000, jefffirefly wrote:

Found them:?http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/vail/release-notes-2.aspx

So it looks like the answer is no, which is too bad.

I don't know what is in the release notes at the link you provided as it
    isn't working for me but the release notes are also available from Connect
    and according to the following in the Known Issues section of the document,
    it certainly appears as if you should be able to do so:

Issue
    Cannot start from USB hard disk drive or USB flash drive or Windows Server
    ?Vail? Setup fails when starting from a USB hard disk drive or a USB flash
    drive.
    Description
    ?    If USB devices are listed top-most in the BIOS boot order, Windows Server
    ?Vail? Setup fails.
    ?    Some system boards have a built-in ordering for the USB connectors. For
    example, if you have 4 USB connector receptacles on the front of your
    computer and 4 USB connector receptacles on the back of the computer, 4
    connector receptacles may be lower level. If you insert a USB hard disk
    drive or USB flash drive that contains the Windows Server ?Vail? bits into
    a lower level USB connector receptacle, the BIOS skips the USB device. Solution
    1.    Verify that the boot order in the BIOS does not list USB devices first.
    2.    Press F12 after the BIOS finishes Post to get the boot order menu, and
    then select the USB device as the boot source. If the boot menu is not
    displayed after pressing F12, check the manufacturer?s information to
    determine which function key to press to display the boot menu.
    3.    If the computer does not start from the USB device after selecting it
    from the boot menu, verify that the USB device is not inserted in a lower
    level USB connector receptacle. Check the manufacturer?s information on the
    system board to determine which USB connector receptacles are lower-level.
    If you do not have information about the system board, move the USB device
    to another USB connector receptacle, and then restart the computer until
    the computer starts from the USB device.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:48 AM
  • 1. Can I install Vail from a USB drive, and if so, is there a procedure on how to do this?

1. Depending on your hardware configuration you should be able to install any modern Windows OS from a USB drive.
    You may want to check out this article: How to Install Windows Home Server Vail from a USB Flash Drive

2. Your hardware needs to be compatible with Windows 2008 Server.
    That said VAIL is based on the 64-bits version of Windows 2008 Server which shares its OS software architecture with Windows 7. In case drivers are not available for 2008 you can try drivers supporting Windows 7. Note that you do need the 64 bits versions!

(Asuming you are referring to the ASYS M4A785-M motherboard: ASUS does have support for Windows 7 64 bits)

When installing VAIL set the BIOS for SATA/IDE mode (no special SATA drivers needed) and try to use the default drivers supplied on the VAIL installation DVD. Once installed you can update drivers that are not available. Most modern hardware and chipsets are supported however. As WHS/VAIL is designed to run headless you only need (optional) Video support for occasionally admin log-ins to the desktop.  So best to leave the video drivers to Standard VGA. Also you do not need audio for a server (so leave the audio device disabled - no drivers needed)

Apart from the chipset drivers, next most important would be the drivers for the NIC. Unless supported by the default (or unstable) try to find Windows 7 drivers (check the manufacturors website) or maybe add an additional standard PCI NIC that is.

And please remember: VAIL is beta. So don't trust you data to it without proper external backups?
    Have fun,
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:19 PM
  • 2. Your hardware needs to be compatible with Windows 2008 Server.

Technically Vail is based on Windows Server 2008 R2.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 7:30 PM