Relocating Server Backups RRS feed

• Question

• I have an external USB drive that I have use to hold WHS Server Backups (that's backups of the Server Shares, not WHS PC backups). This is now getting full. I have just purchased a much larger USB Drive and I want to keep my backups on one Drive. How do I go about relocating the Backups from the small USB drive to the new Large USB Drive? (I don't want to simply forget these existing Backups as there may be a file or two in there that I am not aware, yet, that may have been deleted)

I tried a straight copy & paste, but because there are 'links' involved, the backup files copied across to the new Large USB drive became much larger than the drive itself, as each link expanded to the original file.

i82qb4ip
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    there is no way to transfer the backups (maybe some disk cloning application could do the job, which I would not exclude). But why not keep both disks as backup drives?
    Imagine, the server gets hit by overvoltage, while the backup is just running, and all attached disks are destroyed. Now you would have lost all data on the server disks and the backup drive.
    Therefore backing up to changing external disks is the more secure option (and ideally store one of the disks offsite).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by loloaqic2 Saturday, January 24, 2009 6:59 AM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    there is no way to transfer the backups (maybe some disk cloning application could do the job, which I would not exclude). But why not keep both disks as backup drives?
    Imagine, the server gets hit by overvoltage, while the backup is just running, and all attached disks are destroyed. Now you would have lost all data on the server disks and the backup drive.
    Therefore backing up to changing external disks is the more secure option (and ideally store one of the disks offsite).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by loloaqic2 Saturday, January 24, 2009 6:59 AM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:33 AM
  • As Olaf has suggested, you can keep the old drive for a while and simply start backing up on the new drive. When you decide that there's no longer a reason to keep the old drive around, just remove it permanently as a backup drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:32 PM
  • Thanks Olaf,

Whilst your response was helpful and has answered my question... I feel that not a great deal of thought and support has been given to the subject of backup in the WHS product.

Keep upthe good work.

i82qb4ip
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:03 AM