Windows XP deactivated for no apparent reason RRS feed

• Question

• After installing the latest round of updates (via auto update), I restarted and up booting, windows decided to deactivate itself, claiming the hardware has changed significantly.  Since upgrading to Winxp about a year ago, I replaced the video card and added a USB HDTV tuner, but that was shortly after I installed WinXP and I haven't had any activation problems since.

Here's the info from MGA Diagnostic

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-F94WY-VTTC3-P7HMD
    Windows Product Key Hash: MvY56eK0gigio+P8iIQB34ZG328=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-340-8212492-22984
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {12FEE9A0-87ED-4DC3-88A8-B10F8C538F18}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{12FEE9A0-87ED-4DC3-88A8-B10F8C538F18}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-P7HMD</PKey><PID>76487-340-8212492-22984</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1844237615-920026266-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0603</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20080423000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>B45B32970184AC78</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1E840:ASUSTeK Computer Inc|13D60:ASUSTeK Computer Inc
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:36 PM

Answers

• Turned out to be an MSDN subscriber copy of Windows XP.  I still have the seller's name and phone number, so I'm gonna report them to MS.

Thanks for the help guys.

Friday, November 4, 2011 3:02 AM

All replies

• "arjun999" wrote in message news:3d2ec910-69da-4cac-a70f-a52057479674...

After installing the latest round of updates (via auto update), I restarted and up booting, windows decided to deactivate itself, claiming the hardware has changed significantly.  Since upgrading to Winxp about a year ago, I replaced the video card and added a USB HDTV tuner, but that was shortly after I installed WinXP and I haven't had any activation problems since.

Here's the info from MGA Diagnostic

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-F94WY-VTTC3-P7HMD
    Windows Product Key Hash: MvY56eK0gigio+P8iIQB34ZG328=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-340-8212492-22984
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro

Other data-->
    SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0603</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20080423000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1E840:ASUSTeK Computer Inc|13D60:ASUSTeK Computer Inc
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

I can’t be sure – but I suspect that the license may be an MSDN one – in which case, unless you are a subscriber, it’s a counterfeit.
    Darin (the forum owner) will be able to say more about the Key

I can see no other reason for activation failing, so I suggest that you use Telephone Activation, and speak to an operator – to do so, do NOT respond to any of the ansafone requests to input a number for the service you require – this should force an operator to pick up.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:03 PM
  • <snipped a whole bunch of stuff>

I can’t be sure – but I suspect that the license may be an MSDN one – in which case, unless you are a subscriber, it’s a counterfeit.
    Darin (the forum owner) will be able to say more about the Key

I can see no other reason for activation failing, so I suggest that you use Telephone Activation, and speak to an operator – to do so, do NOT respond to any of the ansafone requests to input a number for the service you require – this should force an operator to pick up.

Damn, if so, its an excellent fake.  I'll call telephone activation and give them a go.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:47 PM
  • "arjun999" wrote in message news:6ad14182-4fdb-46f9-95a5-eae0f6d9f35d...
    Damn, if so, its an excellent fake.  I'll call telephone activation and give them a go.
    They’ll certainly be able to tell you – if they say that it’s been blocked for abuse, but that it’s not MSDN, ask for escalation to unblock it. This should get you referred to someone who can deal with it, if it’s just a caser of your having reinstalled too many times.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:57 PM
  • "arjun999" wrote in message news:6ad14182-4fdb-46f9-95a5-eae0f6d9f35d...
    They’ll certainly be able to tell you – if they say that it’s been blocked for abuse, but that it’s not MSDN, ask for escalation to unblock it. This should get you referred to someone who can deal with it, if it’s just a caser of your having reinstalled too many times.

Telephone activiation didn't work.  The guy asked how many computers I had installed it on, and I said one (only ever installed once).  Then he told me to call support at 800-936-5700, but after going through the menus, I just got directed back to telephone activation ):

• Edited by arjun999 Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:34 PM added details
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:33 PM
  • "arjun999" wrote in message news:d9596a2c-46d9-4d99-b44c-ae14e3500e5e...
    "arjun999" wrote in message news:6ad14182-4fdb-46f9-95a5-eae0f6d9f35d...

Telephone activiation didn't work.  The guy asked how many computers I had installed it on, and I said one (only ever installed once).  Then he told me to call support at 800-936-5700, but after going through the menus, I just got directed back to telephone activation ):

Again, recall that number, and do not enter anything at the prompts – it should force an operator to pick up.
    It does sound like it’s been blocked for some reason.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:45 PM
  • Turned out to be an MSDN subscriber copy of Windows XP.  I still have the seller's name and phone number, so I'm gonna report them to MS.

Thanks for the help guys.

Friday, November 4, 2011 3:02 AM
  • So, Carey - I 'misspoke' did I?

I see you deleted the relevant posts, predictably :D

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Sorry I am late to this thread.  I have looked up the key and can confirm it is a Blocked MSDN key.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, November 4, 2011 6:00 PM
  • I've only got 2 days left on the activation period, but there's no way that complimentary copy of windows7 (assuming they decide to give me one)will get here by then.  Other than buying windows a B&M store, is there anything I can do to still be able to use my computer after the activation period?

Friday, November 4, 2011 10:48 PM
  • You can try re-arming the activation system.

(note - if this has been done before, it may fail, in which case you're SOL. )

<Quote Dan>

You might be able to address your immediate issue of the expired 30-day activation grace period by resetting it. Follow these steps:

1. If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, do so.

2. At the command prompt, type this command exactly (space, caps, and comma are essential):

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

3. Restart.

If you were successful, your activation grace period will have been reset, giving you more time to work on the problem.

</Quote>

Friday, November 4, 2011 11:03 PM
  • You can try re-arming the activation system.

<Quote Dan>

You might be able to address your immediate issue of the expired 30-day activation grace period by resetting it. Follow these steps:

2. At the command prompt, type this command exactly (space, caps, and comma are essential):

3. Restart.

If you were successful, your activation grace period will have been reset, giving you more time to work on the problem.

</Quote>

Tried it, it didn't work.   Oh well.  Guess I'll have to buy a new copy windows at a local store.  Here's a drink to the enrichment of Fry's.

• Edited by arjun999 Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:22 AM
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:21 AM
  • "arjun999" wrote in message news:27351330-b853-481b-8177-1a26f41db157...

You can try re-arming the activation system.

<Quote Dan>

3. Restart.

</Quote>

Tried it, it didn't work.   Oh well.  Guess I'll have to buy a new copy windows at a local store.  Here's a drink to the enrichment of Fry's.

You have to wait until the grace period has expired, I believe (Dan can tell the exact requirements – I’m not too certain.)

Saturday, November 5, 2011 2:06 AM

•  
    You have to wait until the grace period has expired, I believe (Dan can tell the exact requirements – I’m not too certain.)

Really? That would be nice.  I think I'll return the copy of win7 to Fry's and get one cheaply online.

• Edited by arjun999 Saturday, November 5, 2011 5:46 AM clarity
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 3:21 AM
  • "arjun999" wrote in message news:154989d5-0d9d-48a8-b7ee-c746d9a15ba2...

Really? That would be nice.  I think I'll return the copy of win7 to Fry's and get one cheaply online.

Do NOT buy a cheapy online – they are almost all counterfeits!
    Buying from a trusted source that discounts, is OK – but something like 90% of copies of Windows on places like eBay, Craig’s list, and Amazon MarketPlace are counterfeit, and around 50% of them come with unwanted passengers in the form of malware.
    Please read the Safe Shopping sticky at the head of the Windows7 WGA forum – here

Saturday, November 5, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Anytime I've used the command or read about it being used, it was always in the context of the grace period having already expired.

Can't really say if it will reset a grace period that has not yet expired, but if I had to guess I'd say no it won't.

Saturday, November 5, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Tried again to reset the activation period, since it has now expired.  Didn't work.  Oh well, I'll be installing the copy of win7 I got at Fry's.  Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:47 PM
  • "arjun999" wrote in message news:2f102a3f-4d55-4e8b-b418-473d3761e9c8...
    Tried again to reset the activation period, since it has now expired.  Didn't work.  Oh well, I'll be installing the copy of win7 I got at Fry's.  Thanks for all the help everyone.

You’re welcome – sorry we couldn’t get a better result for you.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:56 PM