Media Center files on Shared folder and Linksys media extender and WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to evaluate whether or not MCE could record directly to the shared video folder on a WHS.  I assume this is possible via a strong network, but did not know if there were any restrictions (i.e. content protection) that might get in the way.  Additionally, I currently use a Linksys Media extender and was looking for some confirmation as to whether or not that extender would "see" the MCE content on the WHS or not.

Sorry for rambling, but I'm having a hard time outlining what I'm looking for.  WHS is a great product otherwise, Thanks!

Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:51 AM

All replies

• What you are looking to do is possible... it just takes a bit of work as MCE is only setup out of the box to record locally.

Take a look at this post over on The Green Button for a step by step on configuring your MCE to record to a network share.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:30 PM
  • on your second question, v1 extenders like the linksys can't consume Windows Media Connect content or drive shares directly.  You'll need to have your Media Center system on as a "passthru".

You may also need to enable the guest account in order to get the extender to be able to get the content off WHS.

Friday, March 16, 2007 3:55 PM