Playing ISO files?? RRS feed

• Question

• I've copied ISO images of all my DVD's from my PC onto WHS. Is there a way I can play them on my TV? I dont have Media Center or a Digital Media Receiver thingy. Lots of devices say they can play all sorts of formats but I cant recall any of them saying ISO files. Whats the best device to put between TV and WHS for playing ISO's?

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:37 PM

Answers

• Sounds like you're wanting a software solution for this, but if you're looking to put a physical device between your TV and WHS, I'd recommend something like this: http://www.airlinktek.com/english/product.php?prod=mg450hd

I've been using the 350HD for a year and a half now, and I'd never go back to a software transcoding solution. It plays ISO files directly off an internal HDD or network (don't try it over wireless though Wink ), as well as various flavours of AVIs, MP3s etc.

No h264 support though, but similar devices are coming out with that.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:14 PM

All replies

• Power Dvd will play ISOs dvds from WHS.

Monday, December 31, 2007 8:02 PM
  •  KiwiFidget wrote:

I've copied ISO images of all my DVD's from my PC onto WHS. Is there a way I can play them on my TV? I dont have Media Center or a Digital Media Receiver thingy. Lots of devices say they can play all sorts of formats but I cant recall any of them saying ISO files. Whats the best device to put between TV and WHS for playing ISO's?

I won't say whether it's the best, but my setup works like this:  I stream ISOs from WHS to my XBox 360 MCE by going through a PC that has Vista Ulimtate installed (using a program called MyMovies to play them and Transcode360 to change them to a format that the 360 understands).  Works great for me!!!

Monday, December 31, 2007 8:06 PM
  • The VLC player from Videolan is free and plays ISO's (and a zillion other formats) beautifully. I'm running it on a Mac Mini, reading the ISO's from my WHS, and the performance is perfect over a wired Gigabit Ethernet connection. I haven't tried it over lower-speed connections e.g. 802.11 or 100MB Ethernet.

The Mac Mini works well with an HDTV, because it offers 1900x1200 video and optical SPDIF audio, so you lose nothing from your DVD quality. It's small, quiet (silent, really) and relatively cheap. Most important, it's a real computer, which means it can also run things that aren't available in any media player or extender device.

VLC also runs on Windows (and Linux), so if you have a spare box around it should work fine. The most important thing is to be sure it has high-quality video (e.g. HDMI, Component, or DVI) and optical audio if you want a real DVD experience.

Monday, December 31, 2007 11:10 PM
  • Thanks everyone. I was hoping to not have to buy another pc, but no-one has recommended a DMR.

Tangible, how tricky was it to get the MacMini talking to WHS?

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 3:33 AM
  • Not tricky at all. You can browse to the WHS shares in any File Open dialog. If user-id's don't match, you're given an opportunity to specify a user-id and password with which to access the share the first time you go there. After that, it's just like a local Mac folder.

In addition to VLC, I've also got the iTunes library (and therefore Frontrow - the Mac "10 foot interface") hosted on the WHS, although I'm a little nervous about this because some people have reported corruption problems possibly related to the much-discussed WHS bug.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 11:42 AM
  • Thanks Tangible, I have checked out the MacMini pricing here in NZ and they arent cheap... starting at NZ$1000 and going up from there. Thats more than my budget can extend to. Will wait it out and see if anyone makes a DMR that knows how to play ISO files. 

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Theres a few ways to do this.

If you have an XBox 360 you are pretty much already set. A ps3 can playback networked video as well, but it works a bit different.

If you have a 360, connect it to the media center pc and install transcode 360. Playback the media via a transcoder for that file format. There might be one in the CCCP project.

Also, TVersity is a upnp standards compliant media playback source (like wmp11) that can stream to devices in your LAN or over the internet. The ps3 and the 360 natively see the media on this device since its uses those standards to describe the media it has. Browsing for this media does not require media center. So - if you have a ps3 or a 360, or another media device that knows how to playback media from UPNP / DLNA devices, check out TVersity at http://www.tversity.com/home - its FREE as in beer, and its top notch stuff.

You'll want to be able to get the files into a real video format though. ISO isn't a media format, its a disc descriptor format. Like a raw binary rip of a dvd. You should really rip your dvd's not as ISO's though, try a better format like xvid or divx, you'll actually get real compression rates.

Anyways, theres a lot of info out there on this kind of stuff if you know where to look. When I setup my media center at home it took ages to get this info out there.

I'll write a blog post about various options on my website jheidt.com, stay tuned for that.

HTH jfh
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:16 PM
  • Evolved, I'm curious as to why you recommend against ISO copies of DVDs. It's true that there's no compression, but that strikes me as an advantage. With storage as cheap as it is, why not have the full quality and all the features of the original DVD, as well as the ability to burn back to a DVD at any time? Lossy systems like xvid and divx are always going to be a compromise between quality and size.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:30 PM
  • Umm...I *hear* that there is a certain game console, that can be modified in a certain way that is a fantastic media player and can play ISO...or anything else you may ever want to throw at it...just something I heard somewhere...
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Really, its becase the intended use by the original poster. If you want the MEDIA to playback over a media playback device, then you should have it in a media format. ISO is a fine file format! I have nothing against storing a movie as an ISO file. However you might run into some issues with compatibility with existing products. In which case I would recommend a video file format to suit those needs.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:07 PM
  •  evolved wrote:
    Really, its becase the intended use by the original poster. If you want the MEDIA to playback over a media playback device, then you should have it in a media format. ISO is a fine file format! I have nothing against storing a movie as an ISO file. However you might run into some issues with compatibility with existing products. In which case I would recommend a video file format to suit those needs.

In addition to what evolved said, if you try to use Transcode360 on an ISO, it has to process the file "on-the-fly", which means you can't jump straight to the end of a movie/tv show/etc if necessary.  I was using ISOs/Transcode360 for a while, but I'm now in the process of switching all of them to DVR-MS files (which can jump to any point in time on the video almost instantly).

Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:39 AM
  • I looked for months on a way to get movies (divx and xvid avi files and ISO) from WHS to my TV. The catch was that I did not want to run software on WHS to "Trascode" the movies (Transcode 360, TVersity etc), as this would put a huge strain on my WHS. All that business of Xbox 360 and transcoading through a media center PC was just too much to do something as simple as play a movie file on my TV. After looking, and looking I came across XBMC for the first gen Xbox. 

The XBMC is a media center OS conversion that allows the Xbox to access the movie files on WHS like a normal file call and puts almost zeron load on WHS.  XBMC OS contains all the codecs to play darn near any movie format. You can jump to any point in the movie too as long as you don't use Media Sharing in WHS. Just find your server via the network. It also gives you access to your pictures and music files on any network connected PC.

I bought two first gen Xbox's for $60 bucks each, a copy of Splinter Cell, made a custom USB Flash memory card and aquired the XBMC software.  The actuall modding takes about 15 minutes and BAM, it works slicker than poop. Run the Xbox into your surround sound system with componnent hookup and you're in business with your flat screen and stereo. Best couple of hours reading and learning I ever spent to put my WHS files on two TV's in my house! Something my wife actually thought was supper cool!

Honestly, buy the Splinter Cell Platinum Hits game ($10) and Action Replay memory card($45-$60) on Ebay and down load the XBMC files. Simple to do.  This rig flat out works! Period!  Oh, and hard wire it into your network. You can run multiple xboxes and movies at once with no lag over your network.

XBMC web site-Very difficult to figure out tech info: Xbmc web site
    Mod Site with step-by-step info: Transform your Xbox into a media center
    Retail Product That does the same thing for $300: Mvix USA  Super slick but not cheap. Only Retail divice that plays Divx/Xvid avi and ISO that I found. Buy it at Newegg.com.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 4:36 AM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
    I looked for months on a way to get movies (divx and xvid avi files and ISO) from WHS to my TV. The catch was that I did not want to run software on WHS to "Trascode" the movies (Transcode 360, TVersity etc), as this would put a huge strain on my WHS. All that business of Xbox 360 and transcoading through a media center PC was just too much to do something as simple as play a movie file on my TV. After looking, and looking I came across XBMC for the first gen Xbox. 

The XBMC is a media center OS conversion that allows the Xbox to access the movie files on WHS like a normal file call and puts almost zeron load on WHS.  XBMC OS contains all the codecs to play darn near any movie format. You can jump to any point in the movie too as long as you don't use Media Sharing in WHS. Just find your server via the network. It also gives you access to your pictures and music files on any network connected PC.

I bought two first gen Xbox's for $60 bucks each, a copy of Splinter Cell, made a custom USB Flash memory card and aquired the XBMC software.  The actuall modding takes about 15 minutes and BAM, it works slicker than poop. Run the Xbox into your surround sound system with componnent hookup and you're in business with your flat screen and stereo. Best couple of hours reading and learning I ever spent to put my WHS files on two TV's in my house! Something my wife actually thought was supper cool!

Honestly, buy the Splinter Cell Platinum Hits game ($10) and Action Replay memory card($45-$60) on Ebay and down load the XBMC files. Simple to do.  This rig flat out works! Period!  Oh, and hard wire it into your network. You can run multiple xboxes and movies at once with no lag over your network.

XBMC web site-Very difficult to figure out tech info: Xbmc web site
    Mod Site with step-by-step info: Transform your Xbox into a media center
    Retail Product That does the same thing for $300: Mvix USA  Super slick but not cheap. Only Retail divice that plays Divx/Xvid avi and ISO that I found. Buy it at Newegg.com.

Uhh..just incase M$ big brother is watching I would recommend the Linux version of XBMC, which doesn't require a hack or the XDK...plus the linux port will play HD.
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Well, I don't think they will show up at our doors and cart our old Xboxes away..LOL. 
    I've not read any good data on the linux version. The XBMC web site is very scattered and...well.....unspecific.  I've not seen where it's available, install steps etc.

If you need HD?  Well, the component plays just fine on my buddy's 60 inch plasma in letter box. He loved it. 

If you have any good links to the Linux version then pass them along
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 12:43 AM
  • Way off topic...

XBMC forums has a linux specific forum..It is in a alpha release right now and you have to checkout the code and compile it yourself, but I am running it on a ubuntu box and it is slick and 100% legal..

while the xbox can upconvert and display an HD image, it has a very difficult time playing HD content, even 720p. This is a limitation of the hardware, XBMC for linux does not have this limitation.

As for carting the xbox away, I agree but it illegal to use the XDK without a developers license or to provide binaries that were produced with the XDK...not to mention the legality of the hacks/exploits required to run XBMC

Anyone considering running XBMC, should at least be aware that this is the case....

BTW best media center software I have seen, rock solid stability, amazing useability, will read any format you can through at it, has great web integration for pulling IMDB or TVDB data....and it is free (as in beer AND as in freedom)
    Friday, January 18, 2008 2:21 AM
  •  troutbum wrote:
    Way off topic...

XBMC forums has a linux specific forum..It is in a alpha release right now and you have to checkout the code and compile it yourself, but I am running it on a ubuntu box and it is slick and 100% legal..

while the xbox can upconvert and display an HD image, it has a very difficult time playing HD content, even 720p. This is a limitation of the hardware, XBMC for linux does not have this limitation.

As for carting the xbox away, I agree but it illegal to use the XDK without a developers license or to provide binaries that were produced with the XDK...not to mention the legality of the hacks/exploits required to run XBMC

Anyone considering running XBMC, should at least be aware that this is the case....

BTW best media center software I have seen, rock solid stability, amazing useability, will read any format you can through at it, has great web integration for pulling IMDB or TVDB data....and it is free (as in beer AND as in freedom)

Yeah, I'll have to read more on the Linux version. Though, I'm know nothing of compiling my own OS...so that would be my barrier to entry on that.  The Linux version of XBMC may have more options, but the "hack" version (that sounds so bad) works slicker than snot and tops anything I've seen  yet to do something like this.  Darn near any format is supported!  It made an extreamly difficult situation very simple. All I wanted to do is watch DVD ISO's, AVI and MP3 files on my TV and listen through my AV center. It should not be this difficult and we should not have to "hack" or mod a third party piece of hardware to do it. Ya know?

No, it does not handl HD content. It's cpu is only 700 mhz.  But it is still DVD quality on a large LCD or Plasma TV!

Thanks, Troutbum. I'll give that linux version a closer look and see if I can figure it out. But at first glance it looks like I'd have to make a Linux machine for each TV in the house. An Xbox for each TV seems easier.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Sounds like you're wanting a software solution for this, but if you're looking to put a physical device between your TV and WHS, I'd recommend something like this: http://www.airlinktek.com/english/product.php?prod=mg450hd

I've been using the 350HD for a year and a half now, and I'd never go back to a software transcoding solution. It plays ISO files directly off an internal HDD or network (don't try it over wireless though Wink ), as well as various flavours of AVIs, MP3s etc.

No h264 support though, but similar devices are coming out with that.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:14 PM
  • Maybe the original poster was looking at a software way to do this. My suggestion is like yours.....don't use a software solution (SageTV, TVersity, etc)...use the Xbox to do the dirty work and take the load off the WHS. That was my whole issue...transcoding software was hurting my WHS performance and then you have the issue of getting the video onto the TV's from the server.

Basically, there are two ways of getting movies, music or picturs from a pc or server to a TV:

1) Software on the PC or WHS to transcode and then "serve" the transcoded movie to the TV.
    * Then you need a Dlink Media Player or similar device to capture the transcoded movie from the your PC/WHS and put it on your TV and give you an interface to interact with the PC/WHS.
    * BUT, it will cost you CPU power to do this and it may lag down your server from doing other work at the same time. i.e. serve up two movies to two TV's or other server related file transfers.
    * Also, Dlink and similar devices have LIMITED file type compatibility. This is the big one!
    *BUT, it will work. You need a powerful PC or WHS to handle the processing required.

OR

2) Use an all-in-one device that like of the first gen Xbox, Mvix or A.L Tech to fetch the files from the PC/WHS. Where these devices contain the codecs and software locally to transcode and present the movies to your TV's. No software is needed on the PC/WHS machine!
    *BUT, you still need a device at each TV.
    * Will work with just about any file format! This is the key part!
    * The gain is that there is no CPU taxation on your PC or WHS because the files are served up normally like any other file. No transcoding is done on the PC or WHS. Another Key part!

There is the Mvix USA version. Looks a lot like that AL Tech device too.  Sure, both seem to be a sweet alternative to the XBMC option, but at about 4 times the cost of a used Xbox. But they will work right off the shelf with no special tools or tweaks.  I was not ready to lay down $400 USD on the Mvix when I had the know how to do the mod. Though the mod is not for everyone...

Seems the AL Tech device is available, but I cannot seem to find it available in the USA like the Mvix unit is.

Thanks for the extra input with a new hardware alternative!
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:17 PM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
    Seems the AL Tech divice is available, but I cannot seem to find it available in the USA like the Mvix unit is.  Hmmm.

Thanks for the extra input with a new hardware alternative!

http://www.mediagateusa.com/html/online.html

The MG-350HD (the one I have) is available at NewEgg for $220.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:02 PM
  • In the interests of full disclosure, I reviewed the MG-350HD for PC World NZ (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/reviews/637BADF5280487B9CC25722C00828D6F).

There are a truckload of other media players out there that do similar things.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:19 PM
  • Duh, I was searching only the 450HD on Newegg with no hits. Sorry....

Yeah, the MG-350HD is there and it's pretty reasonable.  It beats the lower dollar Mvix units because it has the eithernet connection that only the high dollar Mvix unit have. Not bad. Just depends on how buggy it is and the response times.

Worth considering for sure! Thanks.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:19 PM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
    Duh, I was searching only the 450HD on Newegg with no hits. Sorry....

Yeah, the MG-350HD is there and it's pretty reasonable.  It beats the lower dollar Mvix units because it has the eithernet connection that only the high dollar Mvix unit have. Not bad. Just depends on how buggy it is and the response times.

Worth considering for sure! Thanks.

I'd stay away from the MG-35 (the lower end model, without wireless); the UI is a bit ***.

The MG-350HD has gone through a year and a half of firmware revisions, and it just keeps getting better in my opinion. Response time in the UI and when playing media is very good. Bugs are pretty rare (current big issue is not being able to slideshow large JPGs; that's getting fixed in the next release) in my experience.

It can be an FTP client or server, does UPnP AV, is skinnable, does WPA2, can stream shoutcast MP3 radio stations from the internet, I could go on and on Smile (Can you tell I love this thing?)

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Sounds like me and my first gen Xbox. If any of these devices could also include a web browser....man that would be the closer!
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:29 PM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
    Sounds like me and my first gen Xbox. If any of these devices could also include a web browser....man that would be the closer!

Al-Tech are in talks with Opera to get an embedded version of the browser licensed for the MediaGate range Wink

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:34 PM
  •  Idolatry wrote:

judgeschambers wrote:
    Sounds like me and my first gen Xbox. If any of these devices could also include a web browser....man that would be the closer!

Al-Tech are in talks with Opera to get an embedded version of the browser licensed for the MediaGate range Wink

Im drooling already...
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:39 PM
  • Bother, I'm pretty sure I've chucked that issue away! In fact I've recently gone through all my mags and turfed anything older than 12 months. I still had PCW's from 2003 under the desk!

But in the interest of clearing some confusion, yes I was looking for a device, removing the need to consider installing another PC in the house. My husband is pissy enough about the monthly power bill as it is with 3 PC's and a server!

I have seen this MediaGate device advertised though. And something similar from Sarotech, an Abigs DVP-570HD. I was put off by the drive being IDE, would prefer SATA.

When you play an ISO on the MG do you get the full menu system as well? And does it work with a normal CRT TV?

Still working on spousal approval for a 60" plasma.

Monday, January 21, 2008 12:45 AM
  • Pretty sure my review for the Abigs device is in this month's issue. I won't spoil the ending for you Wink

The good thing about the MediaGate is that you don't need a hard drive. It has a USB host port on it, so you can plug in just about any flash stick or portable HDD if you need to. I stream everything over a 100 MB LAN.

You get the full menu from the ISO if that's what you ripped.

From memory, the video outputs are HDMI, component and composite. I'm using component (RCA) to my CRT TV with no issues. It does PAL and NTSC.

If the plan is to get a 60" soon, you might want to look at other devices; the MediaGates don't currently do h264 (which is what a lot of HD media is encoded with). They do scale up to 1080i, if I remember correctly (specs are on the site).

Monday, January 21, 2008 12:52 AM
  • Pardon my ignorance, but whats h264 exactly? I only have plain things like mp3, iso, avi, jpg etc. But I plan to get an HD video camera this year too, is that where h264 comes in?

I will look forward to my next issue of PCW. When it arrives in the mailbox, hubby says "your porn has arrived" and leaves me alone for a couple of hours! Same with Tone. 

Monday, January 21, 2008 12:59 AM
  • It's the new cool codec on the block for MPEG compression, mostly used for HD video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264 (read the intro, then skip down to Applications).

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:04 AM
  • Thanks for the info. I dont have Freeview, but I guess when SKY goes HD it will use h264 as well?

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:53 AM
  •  KiwiFidget wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I dont have Freeview, but I guess when SKY goes HD it will use h264 as well?

Knowing Sky it'll be some black-box proprietary solution that we can only rent and never actually own Wink

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:58 AM
  • Too true. I havent upgraded to MySky, I got a Sony HDD recorder instead.

I'm curious about these media players still. Is 10/100 Mbps fast enough?

I've just upgraded my network and WHS to Gigabit (big dramas there), but perhaps it wasnt necessary.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:16 AM
  • Fast enough for streaming DVD ISOs with no issues. Haven't tested true HD content (nothing to test HD with).

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:26 AM
  • Well thats very encouraging to hear. I suspect after reading the next PCW I may have an answer to my question.

I really would rather just watch the ISO. It takes about 40 minutes for me to get an ISO file from a DVD, and I really cant be bothered with modding and hacking and whatever else, lifes too short.

Thanks Idolatry, you've been very helpful.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:40 AM
  • No problem. If you do decide to go with the MG-350HD, make sure you upgrade to the latest firmware release (1.1.7 currently): http://www.airlinktek.com/english/download.php
    Monday, January 21, 2008 2:47 AM
  • Monday, January 21, 2008 2:51 AM
  • Yeah, the MG-450HD is SATA as well. I don't think the NZ distributor has the SATA versions in-country yet.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:53 AM
  • Remember, MVix USA has the same thing with the MX-760HD. http://mvixusa.com/mvixcompare.php

Pluses: Same features as Airlinktec product, but works with Dvix too.

Negatives: Only the 760DH has eithernet connection and it accepts only IDE hard drives.

Just another alternative.

Also, I have my WHS connected to a 10/100 line and two first gen xboxes. I've watched two DVD ISO movies simultaniously on two TV's with no lag or issues.

I thought I read that standard AVI, Dvix, Xvid and such use 4-6 mb per second on the network and HD used 12+...... I'm shooting from memory here on the bandwidth usage. I read it here in the forums.   I've logged into WHS and watched the network activity via Taskmanager. It seemed to be correct for me with non-HD content.

Hope that helps.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:16 AM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:

The various MediaGate flavours all play DivX/XviD encoded video.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:15 PM
  • The OP asked for a device that could play ISO, without having to be a full PC. I've found http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

I am not using it however. I've decided to buy a Mac mini and using Bootcamp I am running Windows Vista Ultimate (MCE)...

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:51 PM
  • Well, acutually the OP asked about a divice that would go between a PC or WHS and play ISO files and others.  Which is what the Xbox, MVix and the MediaGate all do.  So does the Popcorn Hour divice.  All either have a hard drive or can add one and put the media on it directly or serve the data via a network from a PC or WHS storage unit.

The Popcorn divice looks like another nice option too.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:07 AM
  •  Sam Wood wrote:

judgeschambers wrote:

The various MediaGate flavours all play DivX/XviD encoded video.

Maybe I missed it in the specs. I did not see Divx in the list, though I did see Xvid. Thanks for the clarification.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:09 AM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
    Maybe I missed it in the specs. I did not see Divx in the list, though I did see Xvid. Thanks for the clarification.

No, you didn't miss it. I just went back and checked and DivX has been removed from the specs. Maybe a trademark issue, not sure.

DivX-encoded AVIs still play fine, regardless of what the specifications page says Wink
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:17 AM
  • Ahh, good to hear. Thanks.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:20 AM
  •  freitasm wrote:

The OP asked for a device that could play ISO, without having to be a full PC. I've found http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

I am not using it however. I've decided to buy a Mac mini and using Bootcamp I am running Windows Vista Ultimate (MCE)...

Freitasm, as you suggested the Popcorn, is it available in New Zealand?

Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:39 AM
  • Kiwi,

Not sure myself, as I'm in the US. But Popcorn has a "where to buy" link here:

I don't see to much below the equator, but myabe they will ship down to you. But then I'd be concerned about PAL or NTSC formats.... Neither I know much about. Email them and see?

Saturday, January 26, 2008 1:38 AM
  •  Sam Wood wrote:

Pretty sure my review for the Abigs device is in this month's issue. I won't spoil the ending for you

Hi Sam, sorry, but it looks like they cut your article. I've been through NZPCW Feb08 twice and I cant see anything about the abigs. Funnily enough, there is a whole page on WHS, but thats not written by you either! Perhaps you could let me in on the surprise ending now?!?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:45 AM
  • Shoot me an email Smile

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:48 AM
  • And your address is ???  Or are you wanting mine?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:04 AM
  • signalnoise[at]idolatry[dot]org
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:12 AM
  • Righty, the email is on its way. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Its getting late, i dont mind waiting until tomorrow. Cheers.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:25 AM
  • Judge,

What does your file arrangement look like for shared media on the WHS using the xbox solution? Are you storing the ISO's or TS DVD files in the "video" share folder? Did you have to do any special to get the xbox to see it? I think you noted you turned media sharing off (?) Is there any user configuration trick? Do you have the guest account in WHS enabled? Since the client gets access to the WHS share when you sign into windows I can't figure how the modded box will get permissions........

Thank you for any tips you can provide, this looks like a great weekend project

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:45 AM
  • WHS serves up shares over smb, so any machine on the network can see the shares, it has nothing to do with logging into windows...so as long as the xbox and the WHS machine are on the same network you can assign the xbox a UID and password to the share, or you can enable guest accounts, either one will work.
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:23 AM
  • You can use an MG-350 media player.  www.mediagateusa.com or http://www.airlinktek.com/english/product.php?prod=mg350hd

There are a few models and they work well playing ISO's directly and they are fairly inexpensive.  I know cause I have 2.  They wont play MS files though.  If you want to play back recorded files from MCE though you can get a free util called MCD Buddy which automatically converts, strips adds and dumps files in shared folder for you ready to watch on MG 350 or one of their other models.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:49 PM
  •  Lakestang wrote:

Judge,

What does your file arrangement look like for shared media on the WHS using the xbox solution? Are you storing the ISO's or TS DVD files in the "video" share folder? Did you have to do any special to get the xbox to see it? I think you noted you turned media sharing off (?) Is there any user configuration trick? Do you have the guest account in WHS enabled? Since the client gets access to the WHS share when you sign into windows I can't figure how the modded box will get permissions........

Thank you for any tips you can provide, this looks like a great weekend project

Mrazey/Lakestang,

Sorry for the 5 month delay with my answer... I'm sure you've since found out, but in case others need to know.

Do you need a guest account for Xbox to get into WHS?  No.  First, you do not need to enable WHS media sharing.  Though it will work that way as the modded Xbox can be set to use it. But I found that some of the Fast Forward and Seek features of scanning a playing ISO or AVI files don't work using it. It also uses some of WHS cpu to access it that way.

So, Xbox can be set to access a user account on WHS like any other PC on the network.  In the Xbox, I set it up to access WHS via one of the WHS user accounts (I choose the Admin account. It always remains constant incase you ever reformat WHS, Xbox does not need reset).  Once set, the Xbox has full access to WHS files. They look just like a PC.

Do you have to do anything special to see it?; No. Xbox with XBMC knows what to look for. In Xbox, when you navigate to the Video section..then to the share, Xbox will only recognize video file types in that mode. Same for music or photo albums.  That's so you don't mix up it's library.

Video File Storage:  I store AVI, Mpeg, and ISO files on the Xbox.  I've not tried the TS DVD files, but I don't think it would work. Besides, an ISO is much more cleaner to store on the system. Then to see a mini DVD cover of each movie, just save the jpg file with this name:  folder.jpg  in the folder with each movie file. Do the same thing with music album cover art files too. Then when you nav to the video section in Xbox you see all your cover art for your movies and albums. Sweet!

Hope this helps all that need it.

Friday, May 16, 2008 12:58 AM
  •  

Judge,

Thank you....  your first post sent me in the direction of XBMC. Hard to believe it has been 5 months, but, I have had a great time setting up and using the product, and thank you for your participation in the forum and your great help

The XBMC has completed my WHS setup, (for now Smile, in fact, I was browsing for a MAC Mini when I saw this post, thinking that might be a good next step for XBMC

Friday, May 16, 2008 1:04 AM
  •  TechShop wrote:
    You can use an MG-350 media player.  www.mediagateusa.com or http://www.airlinktek.com/english/product.php?prod=mg350hd

There are a few models and they work well playing ISO's directly and they are fairly inexpensive.  I know cause I have 2.  They wont play MS files though.  If you want to play back recorded files from MCE though you can get a free util called MCD Buddy which automatically converts, strips adds and dumps files in shared folder for you ready to watch on MG 350 or one of their other models.

Interesting unit. Price is OK, but not really cheap. But none of them are for what they do. LOL.

Also, you have the Mvix unit too. mvixusa.com Which is very, very similar and pretty trick too.

The cool thing with either is you can intall a hard drive, drag some movie files to it...then carry it to your friend's or family's house and watch some vids on any tv!  Xbox, you'd have to install a bigger HD which is a big pain to do and they are large bulky machines... But the Xbox is $30-$60 on eBay! Lack of full HD support is it's major drawback.....if you even care about that...

Thanks.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 1:10 AM
  • I use a Vista ultimate setup w an ATI card and component video outputs to my 1080i TV. Use the mymovies add in for windows media center and tell it where the movies are on the WHS share. The movies play transparently and you can use a remote control w the media center PC to scroll through select and play your movies.

ISO files I had to convert to Video_ts folders with the VOB files using Ultraiso.

Nice thing is mymovies gives you a lot of info on the movies automatically looks up the dvd artwork and stores it w the movie, actor lists etc. I've got about 200 movies online and have about 1000 more to add.

WHS has 6 terabytes of storage so it should fit ok.

I've been using Nero to transcode to mpeg 4 for things like DVD's of TV episodes where I don't really care about a slight loss of quality.

As for burning a movie back to DVD    CloneDVD can take a dvd in a hard disk folder and burn it in less than 5 minutes so ISO advantage is not an issue

Friday, May 16, 2008 2:01 AM
  • W-Dog,

Yes, it seems you have a good set up too.  There are a few ways to get video to a TV and store the files.  Some use WHS and play things through a MC PC like you are. 

I personally did not want to have two PC's to do it (cheaper too) or run any "transcoding" software on WHS or a MC pc.  I wanted the simplest set up with one machine runing older used hardware.  So WHS and the Xboxes were the best for my needs and cover a wide range of file formats used. It's just one way to do it.   If I were to eliminate the Xboxes...I'd get a few of the Mvix units to gain the whole HD benefit.

I too have 200+ movies, 4,000+ mp3 files and 8,000 family photo's spanning 100 years of family history stored in 2TB on WHS.  Plus hundreds of business files and programs.  I love WHS and how it is a central storage unit for all my family's stuff.

Friday, May 16, 2008 2:52 AM
  •  

Why has nobody mentioned the much easier option of storing the  VOB files in a folder rather than an ISO?

In VMC if you edit the registry you can get it to then show up all your DVD collection in a new catagory called DVD Library which when you include a folder.jpg in each DVD folder will display all your DVD's with full cover artwork. Works a treat and looks great. There's no need for MyMovies at all.

Open Regedit and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\DvdSettings

open "ShowGallery" and change the entry to "Gallery"

Hope this helps!

Monday, May 19, 2008 11:15 AM
  •  Lakestang wrote:

Judge,

Thank you....  your first post sent me in the direction of XBMC. Hard to believe it has been 5 months, but, I have had a great time setting up and using the product, and thank you for your participation in the forum and your great help

The XBMC has completed my WHS setup, (for now Smile, in fact, I was browsing for a MAC Mini when I saw this post, thinking that might be a good next step for XBMC

Lakestang,

Cool, glad you found your way to the Xbox light...LOL.   Way cool, cheap and flat out works! Gotta love it.

Besure to mark my posts as helpful if any apply Thanks.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:27 AM
  • I'm quite late to this thread but the info so far has been very helpful. I've been looking for a way to stream iso files to my TV from either a WHS or PC. I've got plenty of parts lying around to make a server out of but I am very interested in the xbox(original) solution Judge has been talking about.

Judge- could you offer some more info regarding this? Such as how you modded the xbox or link me to a tutorial that covers modding for this very reason, as there are a million tutorials on modding xboxes.

Thanks
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:05 PM
  • Nevermind, I got it all done and i am loving it!

xbox original + xbmc ftw!
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 9:14 PM