Can Delphi .NET be used to develop add ins? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to get into the WHS Add-In development world and as I'm used to program in Delphi, I wanted to see if Delphi .NET is a good tool to do so. I downloaded the free version and installed it in my RC version of WHS with no problems. Now, I have never developed anything on .NET so my questions might be really stupid. You have been warned!

After installing it, I tried importing the two SDK dlls from WHS and I got the error:

"Version 2.0 is not a compatible version"

Does that mean that with this Delphi .NET I can only use stuff from .NET 1.1 framework? Is there a workaround ?

Anybody tried using Delphi to develop an add in?

If this turns out to be too complicated I'll just use Visual Studio, in which case, if anybody can recomend me a good tutorial and/or demo to get me going I will very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

rupio.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 10:23 PM

Answers

• In theory you can use any .NET language you want to make an add-in for the Windows Home Server Console, the only requirement (aside from being a .NET language) is that it target the 2.0 Common Language Runtime (a requirement of the HomeServerExt.dll assembly that defines the required interfaces)... which from the sounds of it your version of Delphi .NET doesn't.

Do you know if a higher version exists that supports the 2.0 runtime?

As for video tutorials/demos... I'm afraid that nothing of that sort exists (yet)... there is a text based tutorial as part of the MSDN documentation/SDK for WHS as well as a Channel 9 Video that sits down with WHS dev Chris Gray where he talks a bit about the Home Server extensibility model and shows just how easy it is (although not very in depth) and provides a couple of examples in the Channel 9 Sandbox.

Friday, November 9, 2007 1:06 AM

All replies

• In theory you can use any .NET language you want to make an add-in for the Windows Home Server Console, the only requirement (aside from being a .NET language) is that it target the 2.0 Common Language Runtime (a requirement of the HomeServerExt.dll assembly that defines the required interfaces)... which from the sounds of it your version of Delphi .NET doesn't.

Do you know if a higher version exists that supports the 2.0 runtime?

As for video tutorials/demos... I'm afraid that nothing of that sort exists (yet)... there is a text based tutorial as part of the MSDN documentation/SDK for WHS as well as a Channel 9 Video that sits down with WHS dev Chris Gray where he talks a bit about the Home Server extensibility model and shows just how easy it is (although not very in depth) and provides a couple of examples in the Channel 9 Sandbox.

Friday, November 9, 2007 1:06 AM
  • Thanks for the answer Brendan,

I just downloaded that version of Delphi .NET from codegear.com so I assume that's the only thing available. I'll look again, maybe the paid version has support for 2.0 common language runtime.

rupio.

Friday, November 9, 2007 1:25 AM