How hard would it be to transfer a WHS to another box RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell optiplex 260 but I wantt o move it to a 240 to free up the better hardware seeing as everything I read about WHS is that you can get away with a lot less in the hardware requiements

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:24 PM

All replies

• Transfer? You'll need to install on the new hardware, create users, copy files share-to-share, decommission the old one, and then run discovery.exe on each client PC to hook up to the new one. It's not a difficult sequence, but it'll take a while. Smile
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 12:36 AM
  • It is just like transferring XP to a new box. You can take your chances and just move it to the new box. If it blue screens on startup put the hard drive back in the old PC and run SYSPREP to add mass storage drivers.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:21 AM
  • So if I have a 3 terabyte server I'll need to build a new teraybyte server to copy share to share. Or break down a disc at a time. For example. buy atleast one new disc for the Os in the new box and fill it up from the old to empty a drive from the orignal. Add the newly emptied drive to the new box and then copy from the old again. What a nightmare.

I hope the box doesn't die anytime soon.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:27 PM
  • This Works for me go to the device Mgr and choose IDE ATA /ATAPI controllers pick your primary IDE chanel right click on it choose updatedriver, then when the wizard comes up choose the second option: (Advanced), then pick the last option: don't search I will choose the driver to install. then click next. in the next step make sure the show compatible hardware box is checked off. choose standard IDE controller and click next and follow the prompts. You might want to write down the specific name of your IDE controller  in case you have to go back to it. Reboot and then after windows boots you should install the correct drivers that match your new motherboard. This works in XP and server 2003 also WHS.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 5:33 AM