Power Pack 3 <-> WIndows 7 x64 connector fail. Worked in Power Pack 3 beta fine. RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I just uninstalled Power Pack 3 beta yesterday, and installed Power Pack 3 from Windows Update. My share folders and the WHS are still reachable and no problem. Connector fail. Install, uninstall, do a dance, nothing works. I have to RDC to run the WHS console. Yet everything is the same as before Power Pack 3. Port 55000 is open on the WHS and forwarded on the router. Am I the only one with this problem? I can get to the directory on WHS and run setup from there, I can run it from a CD, but it fails every time. Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:35 PM

Answers

• All failed.
    Since I have the reparse bug in a folder, I thought I would reinstall WHS. A fresh install to deal with the problem.
    After many tries, I finally got to the screen for a reinstall.
    I selected it. It started formatting, then it locked up. Tight. Frozen.
    Long story short, it formated the install partition but not the data partition of the system drive.
    I have 3 more SATA drives in the case, and 3 more estata cases with 11 drives more, all data.
    It would not re-offer reinstallation no matter what I did or what combination of drives I had left.
    Since I have most of the TB's of data backed up, I disconnected everything and did a fresh install.
    After the all day process, I have it completely updated, fresh, and am in the process of adding one drive. only 13 more to go, and restore data!
    BTW, after numerous attempts to install the connector, [the original problem], finally the toolkit said to delete the program files WHS directory, so I did, and reinstall from the server software directory, which I did, and this time it worked! Of course, the same exact process failed over and over before. Who knows what the problem is or was - but I am up now and only have a couple more days of work to get back to where I started. At least the reparse point error is gone!!!!

• Marked as answer by Gringott Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:10 AM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:10 AM

All replies

• Ok, I just uninstalled Power Pack 3 beta yesterday, and installed Power Pack 3 from Windows Update. My share folders and the WHS are still reachable and no problem. Connector fail. Install, uninstall, do a dance, nothing works. I have to RDC to run the WHS console. Yet everything is the same as before Power Pack 3. Port 55000 is open on the WHS and forwarded on the router. Am I the only one with this problem? I can get to the directory on WHS and run setup from there, I can run it from a CD, but it fails every time. Thanks for your help.
    What is the exact error message you get?  Are you able to install the Connector software on any clients?
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 12:08 AM
  • Same problem as the OP. After having the latest beta installed and working flawlessly, I purchased and installed a fresh copy and after installing all the updates I can access all my old shares and files no problem but the WHS connector does not connect on either my vista laptop or windows 7 x64 PC.

Saturday, January 2, 2010 4:42 AM
  • If you have reinstalled the server, your best method would be to uninstall the old connector software and reinstall it from http://yourservername:55000. The other method, if you are sure, that the server and the Connector software on the client are at the same patch level, would be to execute discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client.
    Best greetings from Germany and a happy year 2010
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:56 AM
  • Ok, I am on the Windows 7 client. No such folder as C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server because it was uninstalled.
    Go to servername\software run setup.exe
    Gets to Enter the WHS password. I enter Password.
    An unknown network error has occured.

I've done troubleshooting steps.
    The port 55000 is not blocked on the server.
    It is port forwarded by the router, but I think that is not necessary [server and client same subnet, same switch]
    If I don't put in the password, I get the same error.

On a Vista x64 wireless machine, the connector is red, if I try to do the upgrade the computer locks up and I have to reboot.

Right now I am using RDC to get to the console, I get a certificate error no matter what I do. That error is new since PP3.

Crazy, but it is starting to look like I will have to do a complete reinstall of WHS and stay at Power Pack 2 since Power Pack 3 is not ready for Windows 7 x64 or Vista x64.

Microsoft dropped the ball on this one I think. Why the problem AFTER the Beta? The Beta worked fine.

Maybe this will also cure my other problem that Microsoft can't seem to find a fix for, the famous 'The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid'.
    No fix, can't delete the offending file, others have posted the same on connect, they closed my ticket on connect with the phrase 'cannot reproduce problem'.
    I guess because they aren't a user of WHS. Because the users seem to reproduce the problem.

I am almost at the point of saying MS screwed me out of $150 and going to a reliable Linux solution.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Thank you Olaf! I ran disscovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server and it worked perfect! I'm not sure why the actual connector install failed when it was searching for the WHS or even trying //WHS:55000 failed untill i ran discovery.exe but it's working great now.

Thanks Again and Happy New Year!
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Ok, I am on the Windows 7 client. No such folder as C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server because it was uninstalled.
    Go to servername\software run setup.exe
    Gets to Enter the WHS password. I enter Password.
    An unknown network error has occured.

I've done troubleshooting steps.
    The port 55000 is not blocked on the server.
    It is port forwarded by the router, but I think that is not necessary [server and client same subnet, same switch]

No, it's not.  You should disable that ASAP.

If I don't put in the password, I get the same error.

On a Vista x64 wireless machine, the connector is red, if I try to do the upgrade the computer locks up and I have to reboot.

Right now I am using RDC to get to the console, I get a certificate error no matter what I do. That error is new since PP3.

Crazy, but it is starting to look like I will have to do a complete reinstall of WHS and stay at Power Pack 2 since Power Pack 3 is not ready for Windows 7 x64 or Vista x64.

Microsoft dropped the ball on this one I think. Why the problem AFTER the Beta? The Beta worked fine.

Maybe this will also cure my other problem that Microsoft can't seem to find a fix for, the famous 'The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid'.
    No fix, can't delete the offending file, others have posted the same on connect, they closed my ticket on connect with the phrase 'cannot reproduce problem'.
    I guess because they aren't a user of WHS. Because the users seem to reproduce the problem.

I am almost at the point of saying MS screwed me out of $150 and going to a reliable Linux solution.
    Are you able to successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?  Does it work if you disconnect your router from your modem?  What apps/add-ins do you have installed on your server (and, for that matter, used to have installed but since removed)?  Do you use OpenDNS?
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Disabled port forwarding for 55000.

Can ping by name and IP.

No OpenDNS.

Add-ins:

WHS Disk Management Add-In Version 1.0.9.8
    WHS Program Launcher Version 1.2.1.0
    WHS Toolkit 1.1 Version 6.0.1800.0
    Firefly Media Server Settings Add-in Version 0.0.0.2

Installed on Server:
    Bonjour
    Firefly Media Server

Had Power Pack 3 Beta installed, removed.

I was able today to somewhat install connector by following these instructions, however it still failed at the end, asking for a repair. Repair fails the same. It did create the directory in the C:\Program Files and I was able to run Discovery.exe - which starts with the password part of install and fails just the same as the setup.exe from the server.
    I can't check the router from the modem part yet because I have to stay connected for about an hour more, but I will edit this with the results of that just as soon as I can.
    Thanks.

Sunday, January 3, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Disconnected router. Still fail. Nice one Microsoft. Beta works. Release fail.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 11:53 AM
  • What is the date of the msi files in \\yourservername\software\home server connector software?
    Could you try to remove one of the clients from the console first?
    Unless I overlooked something, you still did not post the exact error message you have been asked for?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:46 AM
  • I will check the dates when I get home.
    I have not tried removing a client from the console, I will try that, again, when I get home.
    Exact error message, posted before:  An unknown network error has occured

Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:53 PM
  • All failed.
    Since I have the reparse bug in a folder, I thought I would reinstall WHS. A fresh install to deal with the problem.
    After many tries, I finally got to the screen for a reinstall.
    I selected it. It started formatting, then it locked up. Tight. Frozen.
    Long story short, it formated the install partition but not the data partition of the system drive.
    I have 3 more SATA drives in the case, and 3 more estata cases with 11 drives more, all data.
    It would not re-offer reinstallation no matter what I did or what combination of drives I had left.
    Since I have most of the TB's of data backed up, I disconnected everything and did a fresh install.
    After the all day process, I have it completely updated, fresh, and am in the process of adding one drive. only 13 more to go, and restore data!
    BTW, after numerous attempts to install the connector, [the original problem], finally the toolkit said to delete the program files WHS directory, so I did, and reinstall from the server software directory, which I did, and this time it worked! Of course, the same exact process failed over and over before. Who knows what the problem is or was - but I am up now and only have a couple more days of work to get back to where I started. At least the reparse point error is gone!!!!

• Marked as answer by Gringott Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:10 AM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:10 AM