Office Home and Student 2007 Validation cannot be completed RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased Office H&S 2007 yesterday, installed on 3 computers (as the box says 3 licenses), activated fine on all three.  I'm trying to install the PDF and XPS plugin but whenever I go to use the web-validation it says: "Validation cannot be completed".  The "next steps" button gives these instructions for Vista:

1. Click the “Start” button.
    2. Type: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Office Genuine Advantage\data
    3. Delete the file: data.dat
    4. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and click the Validate Office button.

On step 2 it says Windows cannot find Application or if I put it in quotes the search pane comes up with no results.  I have searched everywhere in Users for data.dat associated with Office but cannot find it.  At www.microsoft.com/genuine it also says the validation cannot be completed when I try to revalidate Office.  I have run and passed all the diagnostics.

Also when I ran windows update after installation it found 10 updates and installed them all but at the end of installing it said two were not needed and the status of Windows update was failed.  The updates were not offered again after that.

Any suggestions?
    • Edited by headkase Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:37 PM additional info
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:32 PM

Answers

• Found the solution!  I'm running IE7 in protected mode so right-clicking on IE7 and choosing "Run as administrator" will force protected mode off.  With it off I pass validation with no issues and now have the plug-in!
    • Marked as answer by headkase Saturday, August 23, 2008 10:30 PM
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 10:30 PM

All replies

• Found the solution!  I'm running IE7 in protected mode so right-clicking on IE7 and choosing "Run as administrator" will force protected mode off.  With it off I pass validation with no issues and now have the plug-in!
    • Marked as answer by headkase Saturday, August 23, 2008 10:30 PM
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 10:30 PM
  • headkase,

Excellent find. Glad to hear you have resolved your own issue. I will be sure to pass along your information/data to the other moderators.

Make it a great day!

Rick, MS
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 5:50 PM