none
Suggestion: Disable Propose As Answer for own answer RRS feed

• General discussion

• Some people think they know it all and allways immediately propose their answer as the answer to the OP's question.
    I think this should be changed so that you can only propose someone elses answer as the correct answer.

Currently this behaviour has no added value to the OP, because he would probably discard the proposal as being the result of the arrogance of the answerer.

I think the new behaviour will encourage people to use this feature to 'guide' the OP more objectively to the correct answer.

Anyone agrees?

Marcel
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:24 AM

All replies

• I agree 100%. Use of this feature likely has a negative correlation with quality of the response.

But I would go further: get rid of Propose as answer altogether, and replace it by a more accessible version of Vote as helpful. Vote as helpful is hardly used at present, largely (I think) because it is buried in a menu with two worthless actions. Vote as unhelpful, and Vote as abusive.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:53 AM
  • Well, I think there can still be a small distinction between Helpful and Proposed Answer. I sometimes vote as helpful when a post contains valuable background information that could lead or has lead to the correct answer, especially when there is also a post that shows the correct endresult, but lacks in explanation.

So, I could live with only a voting system, but personally I still see a use for the proposal feature.

Marcel
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:30 PM
  • Marcel:

Oh, I agree that there is a conceptual difference between Propose as answer and Vote as helpful. I just think that the latter is potentially more useful.

As a matter of fact, both features are little used (and not well understood I would imagine). Therefore, at present, they add almost nothing to the experience, and just clutter the interface.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:57 PM
  • I could be wrong but it looks like when people mark something as Propose as Answer it is getting marked as an actual answer.  There's one guy specifically I've seen doing this who has like 350 posts and more than 160 answers.  For those of us who work hard to get some points it seems to be watering things down.

John
    SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    http://www.rossonmoss.com
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:56 PM
  • John:

I just tried this (practicing on one of the threads in "Bug Reporting") and when I proposed my own reply as answer, it did not show as marked as answer, nor did I gain 10 points. So I do not see this.

However I did see one thing. When you first Propose as answer, you get an option to Remove Propose as answer. But once the page is refreshed, that option is no longer available. [So my experiment became permanent.]

Forum Team: Is this the intended behavior?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:17 PM
  • I also tried this and noticed the same thing.  Even took screenshots to confirm.  Something still seems fishy to me.  

John
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:35 PM
  • John:

And the solution is...

Off with its head!

Propose as answer is just a constant source of trouble. Why not focus on getting useful features to work better?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:00 PM
  • I'm all for the propose as answer concept.  I'm pretty sure it was done to bring attention to threads where someone posts an answer but nothing gets marked.  Just seems people are marking their own stuff as propose as answer and then eventually something gets marked.  Problem is, that it seems like the quality of answers is going down. 

In the interest of getting useful features to work better -- how about an easy way to see my points again?  Why not put my points on my profile?  geez  :-)

John
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:41 PM
  • John:

You do know how to see your points? Go to Browse Users at the top of any page, and put your nick in the search box.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Of course.  But I used to be able to just click on my name and see my points.  Why are there now multiple steps to do something that used to take one click? Generally, taking more steps to do something isn't an improvement.

In fact, I was emailing back and forth with an MVP friend of mine who's very active in the forums and he asked me how to find his points.  It isn't very obvious.

John
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Yes, it took me a while to figure it out also.

I use a tabbed browser, and I keep a tab for every forum I am interested in, and for My Threads and Browse Users (with my name selected). Click the tab and refresh the page.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:36 PM
  • I agree 100% too.

I tend to almost automatically remove this mark if I see it is the poster who has marked it in that way.

Mike Walsh

P.S. In the old forums people often used to mark their replies to their own questions (asked maybe 10 mins earlier in some cases) as Answer.  

If this is still possible that too should be banned. 
    Friday, August 1, 2008 11:40 AM
  • Mike:

I agree with not allowing OP to mark own post as answer (still allowed).

I understand the rationale for it (better than for some other features anyway), but most often it just provides a mechanism for withholding credit from deserving responders.

Maybe there should be some different concept, such as "Resolved", that could be used by the OP.

Friday, August 1, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Bump!

There are still people who obviously haven't read this discussion, so is there any news about changing this feature?

Marcel
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 11:29 AM
  • *Bump* come on microsoft, it's been *YEARS* now since this issue has been brought up, step up to the plate and address the issue, I like the feature but somehow people (usually with very little knowledge/points) are abusing it.  Proposed fixes (in order of preference) :

1) Disable the option to mark your own answer as proposed answer. The people that are usually right (the 3-5 medal people) don't propose their own posts to begin with and the people that do (usually 0-2 medal ones) are wrong/incomplete/not seeing the big picture most of the time and use the feature to give more credibility to their wrong solutions. nothing good comes from this.

2) link the option to mark something as proposed answer to a minimum ammount of points (couple of thousand or something) this way the more knowlegable people are able to use the feature for what it is intended (and are more likely right that it *IS* indeed a good solution) while weeding out the arrogant newbies that think they are the best thing since sliced bread but still wrong alot

3) Get rid of the option all together ( I wouldn't like that but hey if you guys want to take a short cut and get this done fast this is probably the one to take).

and come'on microsoft! communicate with us! There's alot of people investing their free time helping out here not asking anything in return, the least you guys can do is listen when someone brings up an issue.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:32 PM
  • As a rookie member, yes, I agree as well. Also, I was wondering if there is a way how to close your own threads so nobody will keep commenting on them. Obviously, after the issue has been fixed.

-Esteban 

"There's a time and place for that. The time is... Never. You can figure out the place on your own".
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:25 PM
  • i totaly agree with this propose as answer filed should not be there .only mark as answer will there and only the person who asked the question is able to mark that as the answer.

becoz of current thing many question remain unanswered .

the most of replier propse it as answer remain thought it is answered so no one look in to that it remain unanswered............please take in to consideraton

Monday, March 22, 2010 10:50 AM
  • I agree with this too.

I also think that moderators should not be able to mark their own answer as the answer.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:18 AM
  • @Ray M: I can see where failing to propose one's comment as an answer would imply the respondent didn't mean to suggest they've answered a question. However, I don't see how proposing an answer gives more credibility to wrong solutions unless a moderator or the OP mark it as accepted. Regarding #2, I think giving that kind of control to those who have garnered thousands of points isn't a good idea. I believe the "intended purpose" of Vote As Helpful is being confused with Propose as Answer and that voting should be encouraged in some way. However, I only have one medal and so, presumably, I'm wrong because I fail to see the big picture and I should be weeded out with the rest of the abusive, ignorant, arrogant newbies who needn't bother investing their time here?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:30 AM
  • > I also think that moderators should not be able to mark their own answer as the answer.

I agree with you in that I never mark my own answers in forums in which I am a Moderator as answers. This leads to somewhat crazy situations in that I know my answer is the answer and someone of good reputation in the forums has even proposed it as an answer, but I still don't move it up to answer status.

But bear in mind that the real bad guys are the Moderators (according to rumour certain MS Moderators in some sets of forums - but not in "mine") who write a reply and immediately mark it as an answer.

The (MS Moderator) guys who do a sweep a week later to see that nobody has contradicted their (often thorough) reply are not being bad guys when they mark it a week after they posted it. (and if they weren't allowed to, it would be a simple matter for the guy in the next cubicle to do so).

FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.
    Friday, April 2, 2010 1:35 PM
  • @Mike I agree with you. It's the guys that immediately mark their response as the answer that I was referring to. It doesn't happen a lot but it's annoying when it does, especially when it seems they haven't quite grasped the context of the question.
    Friday, April 2, 2010 1:56 PM
  • @Mike I agree with you. It's the guys that immediately mark their response as the answer that I was referring to. It doesn't happen a lot but it's annoying when it does, especially when it seems they haven't quite grasped the context of the question.
    Friday, April 2, 2010 1:57 PM
  • I agree also.  When I see an "immediate self propose", I usually give the poster/proposer a negative point.
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:06 PM