Speed Bump RRS feed

• Question

• Server - whs 2011, client 1 - win7, client 2 - win7

I can xfer files, see the server and everything on my network but I am unable to create a homegroup, also I am trying to set up a minecraft server and everything is up and running but I am unable to direct connect to the server from a client machine or add server. Any ideas?

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:34 PM

All replies

• We won't be able to help you with Minecraft here; I suggest you contact the vendor for help with that. As for the issue you're having with homegroup, try removing anything you may have installed other than Windows Home Server add-ins and see if that makes a difference. Or create the homegroup from a Windows 7 PC, then join your server to it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 4:03 AM
  • We won't be able to help you with Minecraft here; I suggest you contact the vendor for help with that. As for the issue you're having with homegroup, try removing anything you may have installed other than Windows Home Server add-ins and see if that makes a difference. Or create the homegroup from a Windows 7 PC, then join your server to it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    ok, dissolved my server created homegroup and recreated on a client machine, still nothing. It auto-detected the new homegroup, sees the user and client name but still times out on security verification stating unable to join homegroup.
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 4:32 AM
  • hi

minecraft will need port 22565 opening in the firewall to work correctly on the server.

• Edited by l10ggb Monday, October 10, 2011 3:34 PM spelling
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:31 PM
  • hi

minecraft will need port 22565 opening in the firewall to work correctly on the server.

I have the port set up in my router.. attempting to set it up through a post I found creating a different method of service...

And still unable to create a homegroup so decided to just give it up as I have everything working as needed, just like to have as many available options of ease on the network for family members not so technically inclined..

ty to the replies 8)

Sunday, October 16, 2011 3:59 PM
  • the port still needs to be opened on the server as well as the router. this is what i did to get it working on my server.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Would you please detail how to do this on WHS 2011? Thanks.
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:56 PM