Office 2007 Assemblies work with previous version of Office! Why? RRS feed

• Question

• It is a little bit strange question but I saw that PIA Assemblies of new Word versions work with previous versions.

I'm searching some reference to support this thesis.

thanks
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:58 AM not a VSTO project (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:06 PM

Answers

• Thank you for clarification, now I can get a better understand.

As you mentioned, it seems that Copy Local property has been set to true in the Properties Windows of the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word and Office in the References node in the Solution Explorer. So the two .dll files can be copied into Bin\Debug directory. When deploying the two .dll files can also be published into publish\Application Files\...\ . But when install this add-in in the client end. it will invoke the COM components registered in this computer. It means invoking COM components the Office XP in your case. I think it is compatible between Office 2007 and Office XP. Since VSTO does not support Office XP and I am not Office XP expert, I also recommend you post this issue to officedev newsgroup, where you would probably get more helps.

Useful links: Working with the Office XP Primary Interop Assemblies.
    Office System 2007 PIA Compatibility.
    A Primer to the Office XP Primary Interop Assemblies.

Thanks,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by RoboBoot Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:18 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Here is an same thread you could get an answer from: Supporting Office Interop 10 with Office 2007.

If you have any further question, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:32 AM
  • I think I have a little bit different problem. My client application is a WinForm app that has the need to create Word Documents. So in this App I link the reference to these two assemblies:

• Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.dll
    • Office.dll

These two files are xcopied into the Bin directory. So the App doesn't search them in the GAC.

When I deploy the App through ClickOnce I require that ClickOnce get these two files and put them into the user home AppData deploy dir. Client machine has Office XP for Word installed but the Assemblies the App uses are the two I've just indicated. So the assemblies are of Office 2007 but the Office onto the client machine is Office XP and all works fine!

In this particular case I don't use the PIA but only the interop assemblies deploied thorugh the app with Clickonce. The article you suggested me say "PIA and Add-in". I think the realm is a little bit different.

Am I making a mistake?
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Thank you for clarification, now I can get a better understand.

As you mentioned, it seems that Copy Local property has been set to true in the Properties Windows of the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word and Office in the References node in the Solution Explorer. So the two .dll files can be copied into Bin\Debug directory. When deploying the two .dll files can also be published into publish\Application Files\...\ . But when install this add-in in the client end. it will invoke the COM components registered in this computer. It means invoking COM components the Office XP in your case. I think it is compatible between Office 2007 and Office XP. Since VSTO does not support Office XP and I am not Office XP expert, I also recommend you post this issue to officedev newsgroup, where you would probably get more helps.

Useful links: Working with the Office XP Primary Interop Assemblies.
    Office System 2007 PIA Compatibility.
    A Primer to the Office XP Primary Interop Assemblies.

Thanks,
    Bessie

• Marked as answer by RoboBoot Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:18 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:04 AM