Enabling One Care in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Mr. Boots wrote:

If you choose to try the unsupported and not recommended process of setting the various OneCare program files to run in Vista compatibility mode, that would be a 3rd choice.

I am currently trying to use the One Care backup taken just before my user installed Windows 7 to recover his files which he "lost" in his careless installation of Windows 7.  If I follow the unrecommended process you describe how can I be certain that I have flagged all necessary programs to run in compatibility mode.  Are they all located in the Windows Live One Care folder in the Program Files?

As a fan of Microsoft for many years, I must say that they did not cover themselves with glory in this particular aspect of Windows 7, about which I am otherwise quite enthusiastic.

Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
    Jim
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 11:19 PM

Answers

• The best advice I can give is to not attempt this. The best way to go would be to install One Care on a computer running a supported operating system, restore all files to a folder on that computer, then copy the restored files to a DVD or external drive, then copy to the Windows 7 computer. This will ensure the data is not lost, damaged or corrupted. Save these restored files as your user will need them again in about a month or so when W7 RC1 is released since the RC will require a clean install.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:39 AM