OneCare Migration to another Windows Live ID RRS feed

• Question

•  

I want to move my Live ID to a new email address.  I want to close my current email I already opened a new one how do I migrate my OneCare subscription to my new email address?
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:16 AM

Answers

• Last I knew the only way to accomplish this is to let the old subscription lapse and start a new subscription on the new account. Realize that the LiveID account really has nothing to do with your email account, it's simply named the same to make it easier to remember.

I've been running using a LiveID that was named for the email account at an ISP I dropped last July. At the time I logged into the LiveID account and changed the email notification address to a different email address that I would still have after the change. Even though I no longer have the old email address, OneCare still operates fine using the old ID and I am getting any related email at the other address.

I'd suggest timing the change to the end of your current subscription. Just make sure that you remember to cancel the old account so you don't get billed for it. I also believe you'll have to uninstall and re-install OneCare on any PC using the old subscription, since there's really no way to 'transfer' the account.

What many have done to avoid this is acquire a free hotmail account specifically for the subscription. That way they can retain the same LiveID even if an ISP change must happen. You can always point the email notifications to another account that you read regularly to avoid the need to check the hotmail account for messages.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:44 AM

All replies

• Last I knew the only way to accomplish this is to let the old subscription lapse and start a new subscription on the new account. Realize that the LiveID account really has nothing to do with your email account, it's simply named the same to make it easier to remember.

I've been running using a LiveID that was named for the email account at an ISP I dropped last July. At the time I logged into the LiveID account and changed the email notification address to a different email address that I would still have after the change. Even though I no longer have the old email address, OneCare still operates fine using the old ID and I am getting any related email at the other address.

I'd suggest timing the change to the end of your current subscription. Just make sure that you remember to cancel the old account so you don't get billed for it. I also believe you'll have to uninstall and re-install OneCare on any PC using the old subscription, since there's really no way to 'transfer' the account.

What many have done to avoid this is acquire a free hotmail account specifically for the subscription. That way they can retain the same LiveID even if an ISP change must happen. You can always point the email notifications to another account that you read regularly to avoid the need to check the hotmail account for messages.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:44 AM
  • You can't move your OneCare subscription from one LiveID to another at this time, so OneCareBear's answer is correct.

-steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:21 PM
  •  

I have the same problem where I want to change the email that the account is under.   Will Windows Live OneCare still work for the rest of the subscription if you cancel it or do you have to wait til it actually runs out?
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:23 PM
  • If you cancel the OneCare subscription it will cease to be functional as soon as it receives the updated credentials during its next check.

So, hold off on cancellation until the subscription is ready to run out, but if the account has a credit card associated with it, be sure to cancel before it is renewed (on the expiration date.)

-steve

Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:46 PM
  • I need to transfer my OneCare subscription to another Live ID as well. the problem is, my ex-fiance bought the subscription, which is current until may 2009. However she moved out, and changed her hotmail password so I can no longer log into OneCare for tune-ups or any other OneCare feature that requires password login. I don't want to wait 10 months with minimal protection and no backup capability when the product has already been paid for.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:16 AM
  • Blackstarr,

You can't transfer the subscription. Furthermore, it is your ex-fiance who has a subscription, since she paid for it with her credit card and is in her name and LiveID. You will need to uninstall OneCare, reinstall OneCare, and subscribe with a retail key or provide your payment information.

-steve

Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:38 PM
  •  

OK I get the idea that you have to stay with the Subscription ID until the end term, even thought I think this and easy change. I have an added problem, the Subscription ID that One Care states I have in the Help window, is stated by Microsoft as "Windows Live ID is incorrect" when I go to reset my password. So One Care shows an ID that Windows Live account has no record of. What do I do now?

Monday, October 6, 2008 11:56 PM
  • Can you log into other LiveID enabled sites with that ID and password, such as http://account.live.com, http://billing.microsoft.com, etc.?

-steve

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 3:12 PM
  • No when I try to log in it gives me the bad user name or password error. This is when I go to forgot password link and type in the david@ipcstech.com  and it gives me the error: "The Windows Live ID is incorrect. Please try again."

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 10:42 AM
  • dcpaint,

I see from your original thread posts where you were directed here that your main issue is that you wish to change your Live ID. If your PC with OneCare is working OK and you don't intend to add another PC before your subscription expires (next April I think you stated?) you can simply leave things as they are. This might be simpler than trying to gain access to the old account, since all you could do anyway is change the email address to forward to your new email account, not the LiveID itself.

However, you will need to gain access to the old Live ID account before next April if you have a valid Credit Card entered in the account which will be automatically charged to extend the subscription at that time. I have this exact situation myself, though as I recall my existing Credit Card will reach its expiration date before then, so the automatic charge would fail anyway.

You will also need to fix the Live ID to gain access to either Phone or Chat Support, though you could use Email Support in any case and indicate your problem accessing the Live ID account itself if that became necessary. Personally, though I've still got access to my old Live ID, I don't ever intend to waste my time on the old account and will simply let it die when I switch to a new one next year.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 2:58 PM