none
Bare Metal Deployment - Unable to get workstation to Join Domain RRS feed

• Question

• I currently building a POC HPC SERVER 2008 R2 environment.

Everything is working upto a point with my deployment

1. The Node PXE boots

2. It gets an IP Address

3. My image is sent to the machine

4. Once the machine reboots it performs its sysprep tasks and then reboots

5. My image has been deployed

However

It has not joined the domain which I have configured in HPC manager, it is just sat waiting for me to logon as local administrator. 

At this point I can logon as local administrator and then add the machine to the domain using the normal manual process, this rules out connectivity issues from the Private Network to the Enterprise Network (I am using a type two network topology)

Any ideas would be most helpful.

Thank you.

N.B I have looked at the following posting

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowshpcitpros/thread/2748478b-2660-4085-8dbf-01b690f5bfb4

But it has not been updated yet.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have had similar issues.

Does the Provisioning just stop before it gets to the add domain part? or do you get error messages in the provisioning log?

f it just stops, i would say you have a network issue on the private network, is the private network adapter up and running in windows? i.e does it have a working driver, and does it have a private ip address and you can ping/connect to your headnode using the private ip?

I have also seen similar issues if i copy a node template and use another windows image then the original node template used, then my deployment just stops at certain stages without error messages.

Br

Patric

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:21 PM
  • The Private Network is fine and reachable, in fact I can manually add the node into the domain.The Node template relates to the windows image, in fact I only use a single windows image. I have rebuilt the platform using all revisions of HPC service packs and the problem still persists. I think the only way forward with this is to escalate the issue to MS, which is what I plan to do this, as there are no errors in any of the logs.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Sounds like a DNS issue?  For the credentials, did you use domain\username?  Are you using the entire domain name, or just the NetBios version?  Sometimes using the entire domain name helps, depending on the interface's DNS configuration.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 3:00 PM