Client Displayed as Offline in Vail RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Vail and it is working without issues (best I can tell so far).

I have installed the Connector Client on 8 PCs of which one of them displays as offline.  The other systems display correctly and are able to be backed up.  Of the 8 clients 2 are XP 32bit, 4 are Windows 7 64bit and 2 are Windows 7 32bit.  The one client that is displayed as OFFLINE is Windows 7 32bit.

The client can log into LaunchPad and connect to the Shares without issue.

There are no errors in the log files, I have uninstalled, rebooted and installed the connector several times.  I have even cleaned the registry to insure there is no residual data.

I'm open to suggestions.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 11:00 PM

Answers

• Pastor Shaun,

If you have not filed a bug and you have a few seconds, it would be great if you could file one on Connect.  You can use the “Windows Server Code Name ‘Vail’ Log Collector Preview”, provided on the Connect site under Downloads, to zip up all of the files and then attach them to the bug report.  Or you could always just zip the folder “\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server” and attach the zip to the bug report.  If you would grab the logs for the client and server, that would be even better.

Robert Dhaene [MSFT]

Post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:26 PM

All replies

• Does it stay in the offline state always? I know there is an issue in the current release where it can take a little long to update that status.

Either way please file a bug through connect and attach the logs.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 11:36 PM
  • It always remains in that state.

Which log files should I attach?  They all apear fairly clean.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 12:37 AM
  • I had the same problem.  Uninstall the connector in Programs and Features.  Then go to the Internet to reinstall the connector software.  The PC should now show up in Vail.
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:36 AM
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled it about 5 times.  Same results.
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:14 AM
  • My experience has been they do not get backed up when they show offline.  Reboot the server, then the clients seems to work for me.  I am sure this will get fixed.

Grey
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 1:17 PM
  • very interesting... today even though the client is still listed as OFFLINE it was backed up during the scheduled backups.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Same problem here with a netbook and Windows7 32bit.
    Reinstalled the connector, rebooted the server but not changing to online.

Didn't test automatic backup until now.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:54 PM
  • My client is also a netbook.  It is the Asus EeePC 1201 BK with ATOM Dual Core CPU.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Pastor Shaun,

If you have not filed a bug and you have a few seconds, it would be great if you could file one on Connect.  You can use the “Windows Server Code Name ‘Vail’ Log Collector Preview”, provided on the Connect site under Downloads, to zip up all of the files and then attach them to the bug report.  Or you could always just zip the folder “\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server” and attach the zip to the bug report.  If you would grab the logs for the client and server, that would be even better.

Robert Dhaene [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:26 PM
  • I have submitted with logs for WHS & client.  ID: 556913

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Pastor Shaun,

Thank you very much.

Robert Dhaene [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:29 PM