none
Viewing this newsgroup RRS feed

• Question

• OK maybe I just have some setting wrong and someone can put me on track --

The problem comes in viewing a very long thread.  In the "old" newsgroup, you could click on the little + sign of a thread and get an indented heirarchical view, where each input was one line, so you could see the whole thread layout at a glance, with the inputs you had already read as normal text and the inputs you had not read in bold. So you could tell immediately if a new reply was positioned 3 indents in halfway down the thread.

In this forum, I bring up threads using the Unread sort, so I know every thread has some new posting.  But on a long thread, it is impossible for me to find the new posting. I expand the thread using the little arrow, but have not figured out any way to distinguish the new from the old as I scroll down through a long thread.

What am I missing?
    ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    MyNumbersTracker.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    • Moved by Anna Ullrich Friday, August 28, 2009 6:33 PM forum feedback (From:Expression Web and SuperPreview)
    Friday, August 28, 2009 11:54 AM

All replies

• Sadly what you are missing is a well performing forum that is easy to use. Seriously, this forum is missing many of the basic features that most forums have had for a decade or more.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com and online instructor led Expression Classes
    Friday, August 28, 2009 1:27 PM
  • New ones are "always" on the bottom
    Expression Web MVP
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Only in a non-threaded view.
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Friday, August 28, 2009 4:08 PM
  • I'm moving this to the Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums forum. Folks who monitor that forum can act on your feedback and reply.

http://blogs.msdn.com/anna
    Friday, August 28, 2009 6:32 PM
  • You do realize the since the forum doesn't leave a post saying the thread moved it appears as if the post was just deleted.
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Friday, August 28, 2009 6:38 PM
  • OK maybe I just have some setting wrong and someone can put me on track --

The problem comes in viewing a very long thread.  In the "old" newsgroup, you could click on the little + sign of a thread and get an indented heirarchical view, where each input was one line, so you could see the whole thread layout at a glance, with the inputs you had already read as normal text and the inputs you had not read in bold . So you could tell immediately if a new reply was positioned 3 indents in halfway down the thread.

In this forum, I bring up threads using the Unread sort, so I know every thread has some new posting.  But on a long thread, it is impossible for me to find the new posting. I expand the thread using the little arrow, but have not figured out any way to distinguish the new from the old as I scroll down through a long thread.

What am I missing?

You are viewing the thread in the "threaded view".

Although lack of good threading information is a major weakness of these forums compared to NNTP newsgroups, the threaded view in the forums is essentially useless for precisely the reason you have observed. Personally, I have given up using it.

You can select your view of the forums in My Settings .

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:32 PM