Live Mesh: Cannot connect to "Machine Name" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed mesh on my home and work PC to link some project files that I work on.  The work PC is running Win XP Pro SP3 behind a fairly heavy firewall and my home PC is Windows 7 Utlimate behind a Sagem Router with UPNP.  I also have a WHS on my home network and a few VMs using ports 22, 80, 443, 8080 and 3389.

When I try an connect to my home PC from work I get a Cannot Connect to "Machine Name" dialog box with Error Code: 00000000, 0 presented to me.

What ports does Live Mesh use?  I'm guessing it's just using HTTP? So if my home network has port 80 in use will this foil it? Though if this is the case how does it work out when there is more than one device one wants to connect to behind a NAT router?  Is it only one connection at a time and the devices broker for who has the connection from port 80?

I did see a similar forum post but all that was discussed was sending log files.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:59 AM

Answers

• You are welcome to attach the logs to a bug report, however, I tend to agree that if the client is fully functional, save the RDP feature, that the proxy may not be the issue.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:07 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 4:14 PM

All replies

• There are currently some issues in the Mesh environment - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/fcccac2c-5fcd-4dad-a852-03f745c88414

If your problem persists after that thread reports that all is well, please update here.

Live Mesh remote desktop uses http, yes, and it traverses NAT without a problem. You can actually initiate multiple sessions into your LAN behind a NAT router.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:13 PM
  • My Problem is different to the one in the thread you provided.

I can connect to the mesh and my files sync fine - just remote desktop is not working from Work to Home.  I was wanting to understand the protocol a bit more to understand if it would be blocked by our firewall.

Thanks anyway - hopefully someone else can help.

Cheers,
    Allan
    --
    Friday, December 4, 2009 11:21 AM
  • If the problem continues, I agree that it isn't related to the service problem of 12/2 and 3 - probably. :-)

This won't help, but it is an interesting read: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/LiveMesh/thread/c2aee78e-00d7-4021-8672-0e8c5ddb71af

Since the problem is apparent when you are trying to connect from work to home, I wonder if you don't just have a firewall, but also a proxy server in place. Do you have the ability to connect the machine in front of the firewall/proxy to confirm that it works that way?

-steve
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Yes we do have a proxy too but as I could get the device view up in IE and also initiate a connection I didn't think our NTLM proxy was the problem.  I did create logs but this amounted to 233MB which seemed a little too much to send to anyone. 
    --
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:54 PM
  • You are welcome to attach the logs to a bug report, however, I tend to agree that if the client is fully functional, save the RDP feature, that the proxy may not be the issue.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

• Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:07 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 4:14 PM