Windows XP Home Edition - OS Boot Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for some technical guidance on an issue with my Windows XP Home Edition.  My PC froze up on my wife the other day and she turned it off and back on.  When the PC was booting up it displayed the following error:

Windows cannot start due to file is corrupt or missing

/windows/system32/config/system

I then proceeded to find the MS article on how to resolve this issue through the Registery Console.  I then went to the Windows Setup menu via F12 function during the boot process.  In the Windows Setup menu it offered me 2 options.  1) Install Windows XP or 2) Repair Windows installation.  When I picked either option, Windows kept displaying the Blue Screen of Death error with the following message:

Bad_Pool_Caller

I do not know how to proceed.  I've ran system tests to identify if there are any Hard Drive connection issues and found none.  I'm hoping I can still recover my data even if my PC is dead.  Any suggestions?

Regards,

Ted

Friday, March 30, 2007 12:48 PM

All replies

• I've just encountered exactly the same problem, following a series of power cuts. Definitely a new one for me...
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:35 AM
  • i just received the same message.

tried to reboot and now cannot even go to safe mode.

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:14 AM
  • Hi,

I have this exact problem. Prchske, did you manage to solve it?

Do you think a virus causes it?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Please am having exact error message with my laptop. I have tried to use (ms kb article 307545) to resolve the problem without success. When I type "md tmp" at the recovery console prompt, I kept receiving the following message - The path or file specified is not valid.

Please what am I not doing right? I would not like to loose my files. Please help me somebody.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:39 PM
  • Now when I get this blue screen with bad pool caller -- I don't even get a error report to send to microsoft.  I have to restart my computer and it happen at least once a day. 

If this were Bill Gates' computer, you can bet that someone would have figured out the error.  I have been getting the error for months and every time it says there is no solution but please continue to send the error report so that Microsoft can fix it. 

GUESS WHAT??  It still isn't fixed.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:35 AM
  • Put your Windows XP Home Edition CD in your  CD ROM Drive. Press F12 to enter setup options. Select Boot from CD. When it ask you to install or repair windows xp, select install. It will go thru its thing and look for previous versions of windows installed on your computer. After it does its thing it should ask you again if you want to repair the previous version or continue with a new installation. Select repair. It should repair your previous version of windows without deleting any old files on your computer. If you have any questions or would like help before doing this. You can call me on my Cell Phone at 757 7391204 and I will help guide you thru the process. If I do not answer my phone when you call I will call you back As soon as I can. There is No cost for my help.

Paul McKibbin

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 10:36 AM
  •  

Put your Windows XP Home Edition CD in your  CD ROM Drive. Press F12 to enter setup options. Select Boot from CD. When it ask you to install or repair windows xp, select install. It will go thru its thing and look for previous versions of windows installed on your computer. After it does its thing it should ask you again if you want to repair the previous version or continue with a new installation. Select repair. It should repair your previous version of windows without deleting any old files on your computer. If you have any questions or would like help before doing this. You can call me on my Cell Phone at 757 7391204 and I will help guide you thru the process. If I do not answer my phone when you call I will call you back As soon as I can. There is No cost for my help.

Paul McKibbin

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 10:36 AM