Can I change "Connection disabled" remotely? RRS feed

• Question

• So, making good progress here and have accessed my home net remotely and shared folders.  However, the PC I wanted to connect to via remote access is labeled "Connection Disabled."  Is it possible to change this via the WHS console?  I am not seeing any provision for this nor explanation of the message.

Dave

Mallette PS - I've read some of the posts on this question and have a list to check. It appears to be another one of those things that I didn't see any caveats about during setup. Nothing when I checked "Remote Access Allowed" so I assumed that's all their was to be done. After nearly 30 years of computing, you'd think I'd know better! Hope springs eternal... Dave
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Depending on the OS that was installed you wil have to enable remote access.
    Find "remote settings" and "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop".

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:57 PM
  • No such setting on XP.

Remote access is checked as on.

Dave

Mallette
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:44 PM
  • You can try connecting to the client from another client in you network to see if Remote Desktop is functional.
    Start->Run->"mstsc" and enter the client PC's machine name [or IP-adres]

Assuming you have Windows XP Professional installed on the client (Home Edition is not supported), this could be a firewall problem.
    Did you try disabling the firewall and then rebooting the client?

After disabling the firewall (don't forget to reboot the client) the client shows should show up as "Available For Connection".
    If so, check you firewall settings for a rule named "Remote Desktop" (port 3389, Scope "Any")?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:17 PM