Why doesn't ICE run on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• When ICE is installed it requires Visual C++ 2013 Runtime, but this isn't compatible with Windows 10. Instead, I installed 2015 runtime but ICE won't recognize that. Doesn't seem too difficult to make it work with the new runtime for Windows 10. I am holding off on my upgrade to Windows 10 until this is fixed.
    Saturday, January 2, 2016 4:54 PM

All replies

• Current ICE (2.0.3) works fine on Windows 10.

Installing any arbitrary VC++ runtime will not fix the problem.

This forum contains a number of postings that were made before version 2.0.3 was released (which contained a fix) and which support in troubleshooting.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I searched for the solution but can't find it. Can you please be a bit more specific on where the solution is located? Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 2:30 AM
  • Current ICE (2.0.3) works fine on Windows 10.

Installing any arbitrary VC++ runtime will not fix the problem.

This forum contains a number of postings that were made before version 2.0.3 was released (which contained a fix) and which support in troubleshooting.

Hi

Where are these postings please?

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 11:34 AM
  • Hello.  Please post a link to one of the number of posting.  As it stands, your reply is not helpful at all.  In fact, it's frustrating.  Thank you.

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:07 AM
  • I assume by the last 2 replies that others are also having this problem. However, I removed the 2015 C++ Runtime and tried installing ICE again with the 2013 version and it worked. I don't know why, so I would appreciate an explanation as to whether ICE is supposed to work on Windows 10 with the 2013 Runtime.
    Monday, February 22, 2016 5:27 AM
  • I haven't had any problems installing Visual C++ 2013 Runtime or ICE 2.0 on Windows 10.

However, since others seem to be having trouble installing the Visual C++ 2013 Runtime, here is a simple piece of advice for installing any old software which was written for an older version of Windows.

If you try to run an installer and it doesn't work, first close the installer (if it hasn't closed itself).
    Then, right click on the installer file and go to Properties.
    Then when the Properties window opens, go to the Compatibility tab.
    In the Compatibility tab, check the Run this program in compatibility mode for: checkbox and select the version of Windows that you know the program successfully installed on.
    Click OK to save your settings.
    Re-open the installer and it should succeed for you.

If you have similar problems running the program after the installer completes, make sure that the .exe file for that program in the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder also gets set to run in Compatibility Mode.

Monday, February 29, 2016 9:02 AM