Max of 10 computers already added - but WHS lists only 8 computers? RRS feed

• Question

• Tryig to install WHS Connector on Vista 64-bit via http://hpserver:55000, I get "This computer cannot be added to Windows Home Server. A maximum of 10 computers have already been added.  Use the Windows Home Server Console to remove a computer that is no longer being used and then try again."

From a different computer, I open the WHS Console and it list only 8 computers.

Any suggestions for dealing with this?

FWIW, I've gone through many cycles of turning off backups of a computer, updating that computer (e.g., install a newer Windows 7 build), adding that computer to WHS *using the same computer name*, resulting in WHS shows DESKTOP2 as active/backed up, and a grayed-out DESKTOP2 with backups turned off. I've previously run into this same "10 already added" but fewer than that listed, and have identified a computer to delete (typically one of the old instances that already had backups turned off), but that's not convenient this time, so thought I'd finally get around to asking the question.

--Peter

Monday, November 2, 2009 2:37 AM

Answers

• Tryig to install WHS Connector on Vista 64-bit via http://hpserver:55000, I get "This computer cannot be added to Windows Home Server. A maximum of 10 computers have already been added.  Use the Windows Home Server Console to remove a computer that is no longer being used and then try again."

FWIW, I've gone through many cycles of turning off backups of a computer, updating that computer (e.g., install a newer Windows 7 build), adding that computer to WHS *using the same computer name*, resulting in WHS shows DESKTOP2 as active/backed up, and a grayed-out DESKTOP2 with backups turned off. I've previously run into this same "10 already added" but fewer than that listed, and have identified a computer to delete (typically one of the old instances that already had backups turned off), but that's not convenient this time, so thought I'd finally get around to asking the question.

--Peter

The supported method would be to do a Server Reinstallation.  The (unsupported) alternative would be to go into the registry and delete the appropriate entries.  NOTE:  If you are not familiar with modifying registry settings, I would strongly advise against doing this as there is the potential of making your situation far worse if done incorrectly.  Please see the post:  Unable to connect PC to Windows Home Server because 8 PC's (NOT 10) already connected for details.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 3:26 AM

All replies

--Peter

The supported method would be to do a Server Reinstallation.  The (unsupported) alternative would be to go into the registry and delete the appropriate entries.  NOTE:  If you are not familiar with modifying registry settings, I would strongly advise against doing this as there is the potential of making your situation far worse if done incorrectly.  Please see the post:  Unable to connect PC to Windows Home Server because 8 PC's (NOT 10) already connected for details.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Success! Per the linked-to post's instructions, I exported and then deleted the client entries that had abnormally low number of subkeys; there happened to be two, the first and last client entries. Restarted the WHS and successfully joined the Vista 64-bit system to WHS. Thanks! --Peter

Monday, November 2, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Followign up on my apparent success noted above, a few days later I started getting "corrupt backup database" errors. I ran the wizard to scan and attempt to repair the corruption, and it crashed. Over and over again, every time. Sayonara all client backups :-( So I went with the supporte method, Server Reinstallation, which ran fine - much easier and faster than I anticipated, given all the trouble I've been having.

My conclusion: I'd have been better off starting with Server Reinstallation. YMMV.

--Peter
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 8:06 PM