crm 2013 "connection" question? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm working on a CRM system where the following business scenario may exist:

* A contact exists as someone who works for a company/account
    * A contact exists as an individual who works independently

These contacts need to be stored and treated as separate contacts in the system.  However, there needs to be a way to connect these 2 contacts to indicate that they're the same person.

I was thinking that the concept of CRM connections could be a good way to manage this relationship. I created a connection of "Same Person" in CRM. The Connection form shows a bidirectional relationship of "Connect To" and "Connected From." CRM won't allow me to select "Same Person" as a connection for both contacts.  

However, both contacts need the bidirectional relationship to show that each is the same person as the other contact.  Please let me know if I'm missing something or if there's a better way to do this.

Friday, May 2, 2014 7:54 PM

All replies

• Why do you need the same contact twice or more in the system? That is quite inefficient and can lead to potential data integrity issues. Why not put the contact only once in the system, and use connections to define it's various roles in relationship to organizations? 

For example:

John Doe - works for Organization ABC (employed)

John Doe - is a Board Member of Organization XYZ

John Doe - independent contractor (potentially for John Doe, loops back to same contact)

And navigating to the Contact you look at the connections grid to see all roles/relationships from within the same contact record.

Sunday, May 4, 2014 1:23 PM