Where did Smart Device Project Template go? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I installed "Microsoft Synchronization Services for ADO.NET v1.0 Service Pack 1 (devices)" on my VS 2008 running on Vista.

Now, when I try to create a Smart Device project, the template is not listed.

I have tried running "devenv /InstallVSTemplates" - no go.

Anybody have any ideas? The template was available prior to install of Sync Services (devices).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Zac
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 5:06 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Yunwen

Tx for following up. Unfortunately, my problem was due to user (me) error (stupidity)!

I had VS2008 PROFESSIONAL installed on my development pc.
    I then bought a new laptop and installed VS2008 STANDARD.
    I then used SyncToy to sync my VS project files between the two machines.

What I didn't notice at the time was that the sync procedure copied over the smart device templates from my professional installation to the standard installation.
    Therefore I did indeed see Smart Device Project under my standard version, even though Smart Device Projects are not part of VS2008 Standard!

The "deactivation" of the bogus smart device project was purely coincidental to the installation of the service pack.

So in a word, duh!

Maybe this will help somebody else, although I suspect it's a one-in-a-million scenario...

Rgds
    Zac
    • Marked as answer by Zac Jordaan Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:02 PM

All replies

• is the repro-able ?

thanks
    Yunwen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 12:32 PM
  • Hi Yunwen

Tx for following up. Unfortunately, my problem was due to user (me) error (stupidity)!

I had VS2008 PROFESSIONAL installed on my development pc.
    I then bought a new laptop and installed VS2008 STANDARD.
    I then used SyncToy to sync my VS project files between the two machines.

What I didn't notice at the time was that the sync procedure copied over the smart device templates from my professional installation to the standard installation.
    Therefore I did indeed see Smart Device Project under my standard version, even though Smart Device Projects are not part of VS2008 Standard!

The "deactivation" of the bogus smart device project was purely coincidental to the installation of the service pack.

So in a word, duh!

Maybe this will help somebody else, although I suspect it's a one-in-a-million scenario...

Rgds
    Zac
    • Marked as answer by Zac Jordaan Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:02 PM
  •  I see. thanks for verifying this.

Thanks
    Yunwen
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:46 AM