Folder Conflicts: Why no "Merge"? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I noted in another thread that I've had some problems with conflicts lately... many of those problems came from live mesh making me pick a folder during a conflict. So, live mesh says "Folder X - 0 bytes" and "Folder X - 0 bytes" are a conflict... pick one. The problem I had was that one of those folders would be empty because mesh wouldn't have put files in it yet, while the other was full... and I had no clue which was which.

I still seem to be having this trouble today... but this got me thinking... why does live mesh ask about folders? OK... to be fair, maybe there is a point... but why wouldn't there be an option of just "Merge these folders"? I get that accepting a whole folder at once saves time, but only if you know the look of the files there - and live mesh doesn't give you enough information on this... in any normal file system, the answer would just be to ignore the folders and focus on the files inside. I think this makes a lot more sense. As has been said before, it's surprising to me that the interface isn't just a table...

|  File  |  Folder  |  Location/attributes A  |  Location/attributes B  |  Action  |

Then just make it so I can quickly hit "a" or "b" to set the action... and maybe a way to do them all at once for a given folder. At the bottom, just put an "Apply Changes" button.

I really feel like that would be so much easier to work with...

Thanks,

Mike
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Thank you for the suggestion.  We definitely have more improvements to make to conflict handling, and we appreciate the thought you put into it.

Ben.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:00 PM