none
HPC Pack 2016 - HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed the latest Windows Server 2016 from scratch, updated it and ran the HPC Pack 2016 setup. Removed all AD CS components. Configured the network with option 1 where all nodes are isolated on private network. Provided installation credentials etc. 

I would be really grateful if someone can help with the following problems

1. Cannot run any Validation tests. The error is "Failed to run Deployment Environment Validator tests."

2. Cannot add operating system image. I have tried adding from setup file and the error is "This operation is not supported when administering an HPC cluster remotely. To create an image, log on the head node of your HPC cluster and then execute this operation on that computer". I have attempted to do it being logged in from the console directly connected to the HEAD node and also using remote desktop connection to the HEAD node.

3. Cannot add nodes. Because I haven't added an OS image, my only option is to add compute nodes that are preconfigured. Since I am upgrading from an older HPC Pack 2008, I have nodes that would be looking to join the HEAD node (with the same name). However no nodes are showing up and also the drop down box for Node template is empty with nothing to choose from. Along with the default templates I also created a template without an OS. But can't choose any of them.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I really want to give the HPC Pack 2016 a chance, but if it doesn't work, I will have to revert back to 2012. Hope it still works on Windows Server 2016.

Kind regards

Ivan

• Edited by iivuch Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:38 PM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi IIVUCH,

Deployment isn't there in HPC Pack 2016, this is release noted and will be available in HPC Pack 2016 Update 1 which is a few month away.

Qiufang Shi

Friday, August 25, 2017 8:39 AM
  • thanks for this - I don't really get why this version was released and marked as the latest HPC Pack version available if it is not finished and not really usable. It should've been marked as a beta-tester version with restrictions. I've lost 5 days trying to reinstall OS and all components in various combinations, to reduce the chance that I am doing something wrong. Anyways - clearly not your fault .. just needed to say this. Thanks for your reply!
    Friday, August 25, 2017 9:14 AM
  • Sorry IIVUCH,

Sorry for the inconvenience. HPC Pack 2016 RTM is more focused on cloud (azure) enhancement (IaaS and hybrid scenarios). In the upcoming Update 1, we catch up on the on premise feature and quality.

Qiufang Shi

Monday, August 28, 2017 3:22 AM