none
"Report as Abuse" UI Design?

Question

• If appears that if a post is marked as "Abuse" it gets a nice bright red box around it. That gives the post the biggest visual draw. It is almost like the post is saying "read me now!".

If a post is marked as abuse, shouldn't the opposite happen? Shouldn't it be grayed out or set to white text or shown with /// through it (like a cross out)?

It seems that the forum "honors" the abusive post by making it the one your eye is drawn to instead of making it more hidden.

Just a thought....
    www.insteptech.com
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    • Edited by Don Tan Friday, June 26, 2009 1:03 AM Fixing Thread title bug
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:28 PM

All replies

• Good thinking.  After gamma correction, there's, what, about 20 votes resolution to turn the post into white-on-white.  Five should be good enough.  They can't control the HTML well enough though.  Too bad, good idea.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 12:08 AM
  • I guess the thought is to get the attention of the moderator and delete it as soon as possible, but I see your point.
    Sam Jarawan - Senior Development Lead - Server and Tools Online
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Fwiw, this was discussed between moderators before.  No moderator ever sees these abuse reports unless they stumble on it.  Filtering is much too awkward and time consuming.  The forums 2.x implementation was effective.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Well it failed with me in that case because I never saw the Abusive mark **as a reason for deleting a post**.

Seeing them that way does however make the Moderator's job easier - or rather it would if posts marked as Abusive really were. I've had posts of mine which said "SPD questions go to the Design/Customization forum. Moving this there." marked as Abusive.

WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Which brings up another point, I have *never* successfully found what I wanted using the search feature of the forums.

Unless I am missing something, it does not let me search on any useful criteria.

Mostly, I think "Oh, I just answered something like this last week".

So I would want to search on replies by me that occurred in the last week. But no, I have to recall specific text within the post to try to find it. And there is not even any sort of the results to sort by date. So I just waste tons of time wading through the posts. I have *never* found what I was looking for.

You can then add to this search overhaul request an easy way to search for abuse reports. :-)

www.insteptech.com
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:44 PM