What are you doing to protect your product?? RRS feed

• Question

• 08/28/09
    Office 2007 PRO used for 49 days spent over 20 hours doing product upgrades via dial up now it's a counterfit - give me a break.

PURCHASED ITEM OFF OF EBAY 50 DAYS AGO WHEN MY OTHER COMPUTER WENT DOWN BECAUSE YOUR VISTA SERVICE PACK INSTALL LOCKED IT UP AND HAD TO PUT IN SHOP FOR 3 WEEKS. 

WENT BACK ON EBAY TODAY (08/28/09) AND FOUND 70 LISTINGS OF THE SAME SOFTWARE.

WHAT'S THE CHANCES THAT THEY ARE VALID LISTINGS??

WHY DON'T YOU GO AFTER THESE LISTINGS A LITTLE MORE AGRESSIVELY. THE LAST MONTH YOUR COMPUTER UPDATES HAVE CAUSED ME A LOT OF COMPUTER PROBLEMS. SPENT ABOUT 100 HOURS ON MAINTENANCE VS 6 HOURS 0N PRODUCTIVITY ON 2 SEPERATE COMPUTERS. 

YOU TALK ABOUT YOUR JOBS TIME AND MONEY WHAT ABOUT MY LOB TIME AND MONEY ON THESE COUNTERFIT PRODUCTS.

YOU NEED TO GO AFTER THE BIG GUYS MAKING THESE COUNTERFIT PROD8UCTS IT'S NOT JOE USER MAKING THESE COUNTERFITS

YOU DO A VERY POOR JOB OF PROTECTING YOUR PRODUCT.

THE MORE I USE YOUR PRODUCTS THE MORE THY SUCK  

THIS IS A FOLLOWUP TO YESTERDAYS POSTING
    PLAYED YOUR GAME YEATERDAY CONTACTED YOUR FRAUD UNIT AND REPORTED COUNTERFIT PROGRAM.
    CONTACTED SELLER OF PROGRAM AND HE WILL RETURN MY MONEY IF I RETURN THE SOFTWARWE.

PISSED YESTERDAY STILL PISSED TODAY

MUSINGS  A SMALL USER

GARYCLARK
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hello GaryClark,

You wrote, "PURCHASED ITEM OFF OF EBAY 50 DAYS AGO..."

Unfortunately a significant percentage of Microsoft software being sold on eBay is counterfeit.  Please have a look at some of these hits to read about where it comes from:  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA&q=microsoft+piracy+ring+china

Could you post a link to the exact auction from which you purchased your copy of Office 50 days ago?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Hello GaryClark,

I am sorry to hear that you were a Victim of Piracy.

"CONTACTED SELLER OF PROGRAM AND HE WILL RETURN MY MONEY IF I RETURN THE SOFTWARWE."

Well, at least you were able to resolve the problem.  Microsoft does spend a large amount of time and energy fighting Piracy. It's in our own best interest to do so. Unfortunatly, it's like Wack-a-Mole. you get rid of one and another pops up. 

On the other hand, to help protect themselves, it's up to the consumer to ensure they only buy from trustworthy retailers. That is true for software, lady's handbags and even used cars.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Friday, August 28, 2009 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hello GaryClark,

You wrote, "PURCHASED ITEM OFF OF EBAY 50 DAYS AGO..."

Unfortunately a significant percentage of Microsoft software being sold on eBay is counterfeit.  Please have a look at some of these hits to read about where it comes from:  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA&q=microsoft+piracy+ring+china

Could you post a link to the exact auction from which you purchased your copy of Office 50 days ago?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:26 PM
  • garyclark
    Friday, August 28, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hello GaryClark,

I am sorry to hear that you were a Victim of Piracy.

"CONTACTED SELLER OF PROGRAM AND HE WILL RETURN MY MONEY IF I RETURN THE SOFTWARWE."

Well, at least you were able to resolve the problem.  Microsoft does spend a large amount of time and energy fighting Piracy. It's in our own best interest to do so. Unfortunatly, it's like Wack-a-Mole. you get rid of one and another pops up. 

On the other hand, to help protect themselves, it's up to the consumer to ensure they only buy from trustworthy retailers. That is true for software, lady's handbags and even used cars.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Friday, August 28, 2009 4:58 PM
  • ebay item # 230350227366

Friday, August 28, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Hello garyclark,

The seller does not seem to sell much software so it would not surprise me to find out that the seller was unaware that s/he was selling counterfeit items.

The CoA on the boxtop does have a notation that this item is not for sale in the US.  That would have been the first red flag.  USA editions of Office 2007 Pro have Office Accounting 2007 included (a QuickBooks-type of program).

The big RED ALERT for me would be the selling price.  Office 2007 Pro full retails for $499.99 and sometimes goes on sale at stores and online for $399.99 maybe with a rebate.  This one sold for $138.75.

When you are buying "new" SOFTWARE on EBAY for ONE QUARTER OF THE RETAIL PRICE, you do not have to be the proverbial rocket scientist to KNOW this software is as BOGUS as a THREE DOLLAR BILL.

Friday, August 28, 2009 6:09 PM