Restore is failing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Precision 370 with Vista Ultimate on a 500 gb drive.  There is another 500 gb drive, not exactly the same model number but a Western Digital too.  The second 500 gb drive is empty, no files on it.  This week, I returned home to find the system at the boot screen saying that it couldn't find a boot drive.  I powered off, then back on, and it booted.  I shut down all the applications and let my home server do a backup (the home server is at PP3).  I then swapped the SATA connections for the two drives and booted the dual-boot recovery CD. 

The first time, it gave me a red X between the source and destination, even though both were 500 gb.  I used Disk Manager to format and partition the drive and marked it active, and still no go.

I disconnected the original drive and began again.  Still, a red X prevented me from continuing.

I put the original drive on the first SATA channel and rebooted.  A disk error prevented it from booting.  So, I booted the recovery CD and began a restore of the original drive, figuring at this point that I'll use Easy Transfer to get the files and settings off and build a new Vista on the empty 500 gb drive.  But I got a blue screen 5 minutes into the restore.

I think the problem there is the AHCI driver, or its the drive controller gone south on the motherboard.  But why can't I restore to the empty drive?  Is it because WHS saw two drives for backup, and remembered the signature of the second drive as being only capable of restoring the second drive's backups?

-Larry

-Larry
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:20 PM

Answers

• If the drives are different models, then they may be (very) slightly different sizes. Try a drive that's slightly bigger.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Larry L Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:35 PM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:22 PM

All replies

• If the drives are different models, then they may be (very) slightly different sizes. Try a drive that's slightly bigger.
    • Marked as answer by Larry L Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:35 PM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:22 PM
  • I did put a new drive in, a 1 tb and once formatted and set active, the restore proceeded well.  Thanks, Ken!
    -Larry
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:36 PM
  • You know you wanted a bigger drive anyway. :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:41 PM