Default keyboard layout RRS feed

• General discussion

• Installing the WHS on a computer with Swedish keyboard posed an interesting problem. When coming to select an administrator password (just before disconnecting peripherals) I entered a fairly safe phrase with numerals, litterals and special characters. Then, when connecting to the WHS from my ordinary computers, my password was wrong - the special characters were different on the US keyboard layout and the passphrase I thought I entered was not the one stored!

I solved the problem by installing US keyboard layout on my home computer, then logging in and changing the password, now reverting to Swedish settings and Swedish keyboard layout.

I think that while creating a layout as simple as possible, MS has forgot that users can be installing on a hardware with other localization than US. Why not pose a very simple "where do you live" quesiton during setup, and if the user is outside US, the "select localization" should be presented where you can select Keyboard layout, date/time format etc.

Thursday, March 1, 2007 6:43 AM

All replies

• I believe that is being worked on for post-Beta 2 versions of WHS.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 1:46 PM