none
Way to view depencies of TableAdapters? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to view the dependencies of Table Adapters within a project (VB2017) similar to how one can view dependencies of, for instance, a view in SQL Server Management Studio? Or is there a way to reveal this information by some means?  

I have several projects with fairly high numbers of table adapters (from mid 30's to 80+) and I know they are not all utilized.

The goal is to quickly and reliably identify the "candidates for removal" in order to clean up the projects.

Thanks in advance for any advice posted.

• Moved by Stanly Fan Monday, July 3, 2017 9:04 AM
    Saturday, June 3, 2017 4:29 PM

All replies

• TableAdapters are generated code so my guess is that there is not a direct way to do that.

I am not familiar with the profiling tools that Microsoft provides but it would probably help to detect what portions of code are not used. That won't be enough to know what will never be used but it will reduce the occurrences of what to research, right?

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, June 3, 2017 5:15 PM
  • Hello,

There are no tools for this. If you want to know (and this is tedious at best and would not want to do this) then you need to traverse the generated code and on each method signature look at CodeLens "references" e.g.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, June 12, 2017 1:56 PM