Moving Around Disks on Client Computers RRS feed

• Question

• This will probably come out sounding weird, but here goes:

Two Thinkpad laptops are among the machines backed up by my WHS.  Let's call them A & B.  A runs Windows 7, and B runs XP.

A couple months ago, I took out the drive from A and replaced it with an SSD.  I installed WHS, and of course WHS considers it a separate machine and started daily backups to a new account.  That's fine - not a problem.

I've been interested in upgrading machine B to Windows 7.  It's a similar architecture to A; just one generation later.  I'm at work and just put A's old drive into B.  That was certainly more pain-free than doing a fresh install and having to reinstall all my programs.  After a few updates from Microsoft and from Lenovo, it's running beautifully.  

I then changed its Windows name back to B; otherwise I would have two machines with the same name (A).

The $64 question: what will happen when I take the machine home tonight and turn it on?  Will WHS start backing it up onto the wrong (A) account?  The "old" A account? Onto B's account - that would be fine with me?  Start a new account?

Hope this babbling makes sense.

Art

• Edited by Art Shapiro Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:15 PM clarification
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:03 PM

Answers

• If anyone cares: after considering Ken's advise, I decided that if WHS got confused, I could probably get out of the mess with removing and reinstalling the connector on a couple of machines.  I didn't foresee a disaster.  So I decided to just see what happened.

WHS backed up the machine B to the "old A" account.  That didn't surprise me, as it couldn't really know that this disk was now sitting in a different machine.

Then it renamed the account to be "B".  So I now show two "B"s, this new one and the old one on which I'd turned off backups prior to the disk swap.    This behavior works out quite well for me - all data on both drives is safely backed up.

Art
    • Marked as answer by Art Shapiro Friday, September 16, 2011 5:10 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:10 PM

All replies

• Assuming you do nothing but what you say you've already done, I would expect your home server to get confused as to the identities of the two machines, because machine A is effectively a clone of machine B at this point (going by what you've said, the HDD from A is now in B, and the cloned SSD is in A).

To avoid this, I would remove the connector from machine B and delete machine B from your server. Then I'd install the connector again.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Thank you, Ken...I agree that's the safest approach.  I'm appreciative of the quick response.

I'd like to retain the existing B account, as that now-unused XP drive has some potentially useful data on it worthy of WHS retention.  Perhaps I should give B a slightly different name before the reinstallation of the connector, as I'm sure WHS would balk at finding a duplicate name.

Art

Art
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:44 PM
  • If anyone cares: after considering Ken's advise, I decided that if WHS got confused, I could probably get out of the mess with removing and reinstalling the connector on a couple of machines.  I didn't foresee a disaster.  So I decided to just see what happened.

WHS backed up the machine B to the "old A" account.  That didn't surprise me, as it couldn't really know that this disk was now sitting in a different machine.

Then it renamed the account to be "B".  So I now show two "B"s, this new one and the old one on which I'd turned off backups prior to the disk swap.    This behavior works out quite well for me - all data on both drives is safely backed up.

Art
    • Marked as answer by Art Shapiro Friday, September 16, 2011 5:10 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:10 PM