System Disk failure RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening all,

My primary disk the system disk completely failed this evening. I just want to double check but if I get a replacement disk I should boot off the CD and do a server re-installation correct?

After that occurs, what do I do as far as rehooking up my shares and data or will that already occur from my 2 other drives?

I had set duplication on all my shared folders and user directories so this will be a test to see how WHS really stands up I suppose.

Am I correct in all of this?

Thanks for any help in advance!
    Friday, June 26, 2009 2:59 AM

Answers

• Good evening all,

My primary disk the system disk completely failed this evening. I just want to double check but if I get a replacement disk I should boot off the CD and do a server re-installation correct?

Correct.

After that occurs, what do I do as far as rehooking up my shares and data or will that already occur from my 2 other drives?

It will be automatic.  Just make sure your secondary drives are connected during the Reinstallation process (and that they show up in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen).

I had set duplication on all my shared folders and user directories so this will be a test to see how WHS really stands up I suppose.

Friday, June 26, 2009 3:28 AM
  • Thanks so much for the prompt help. Should I plug the data drives into another machine to ensure they are readable first? I had cooling issue where the machine was on for a day with very poor cooling and the sys drive failed. There's no guarantee for the others either. Thanks again for the prompt help!

I guess you could.  Although, if the drives are that fragile, I would start copying data from them ASAP (and perhaps even consider replacing them).
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:04 AM

All replies

• Good evening all,

Correct.

It will be automatic.  Just make sure your secondary drives are connected during the Reinstallation process (and that they show up in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen).

Friday, June 26, 2009 3:28 AM
  • Thanks so much for the prompt help. Should I plug the data drives into another machine to ensure they are readable first? I had cooling issue where the machine was on for a day with very poor cooling and the sys drive failed. There's no guarantee for the others either. Thanks again for the prompt help!
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:36 AM

I guess you could.  Although, if the drives are that fragile, I would start copying data from them ASAP (and perhaps even consider replacing them).
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:04 AM