Replacing my system disk with a larger disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hey All,

I have an HP EX470 system that is starting to feel a bit tight.  Currently my smallest disk is the system disk, so i'd like to replace that one.

I'm wondering how i can go about doing this while still keeping all my data completely safe.

I have the following:
    EX470 running WHS PP1.
    The HP server recovery disk.
    A windows PC (presumably or the server recovery disk).

So is this possible?  Has anyone done this before?  From reading online, this all seems theoretically possible, but i would like info from someone who has actually done this with the same configuration.

Thanks!
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    you should be able to swap the disk and run a server recovery (after uninstalling the connector software on one of your 32 Bit clients), but do not a factory reset.
    This will reinstall the operating system, which may take a lot of time to recover the tombstones, especially if the server has only 512 MB of RAM. After completing the installation you should immediatly apply all updates as long, as still any are offered via console.
    Be aware, that with that procedure is no guarantee, that files in unduplicated folders or the backup database don't go lost. (You can access them on the Data volume of the old system disk as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.)

Also data exclusively hosted on the server is never completely save - you should have an external backup of the important files in shared folders (there are too many reasons, why a server can die or disappear outside of the OS) - and a server reinstall is always somewhat risky as well. While you can recreate client backups, you cannot do the same with the data in shared folders, once lost.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, August 24, 2009 9:29 AM
  • Hey All,

I have an HP EX470 system that is starting to feel a bit tight.  Currently my smallest disk is the system disk, so i'd like to replace that one.

I'm wondering how i can go about doing this while still keeping all my data completely safe.

I have the following:
    EX470 running WHS PP1.
    The HP server recovery disk.
    A windows PC (presumably or the server recovery disk).

So is this possible?  Has anyone done this before?  From reading online, this all seems theoretically possible, but i would like info from someone who has actually done this with the same configuration.

Thanks!

Also, in addition to what Olaf said, before doing anything else, make sure your server is up-to-date (which, if you only have PP1, it's not).  There was a bug with PP1 in terms of data being lost if you had a failed drive.  (Although you don't have that, I wouldn't take any chances.)
    Monday, August 24, 2009 6:08 PM