Folder Sync RRS feed

• Question

• It would be great if they added a way to sync a folder to and from the WHS.

I've submitted the suggestion here if you like the idea.

Right now there is no way to sync a given folder with the WHS (correct me if I am wrong). It would be GREAT if we could designate folders that will be automatically synced with the WHS and then be able to maintain the same folder contents on another computer which will also be synced via the WHS.

For example, right now I have a "Web Design" folder that I want to keep synced between 3 different computers on my home network that are all connected to the WHS. Ideally, any change to the contents of this folder should be synced to all 3 computers via the WHS.

Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:56 PM

All replies

• There are several options for syncing a local folder with a network share. There's "Offline Files" which has been built in to Windows for quite some time. There's SyncToy, which is a free download from Microsoft. There's also a bunch of commercial tools that work more or less the same as SyncToy, but usually more seamlessly.

And then there's using the network share. Don't sync a local folder, work directly out of the network share. Which gets back to "Offline Files" so you can work disconnected.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 9:37 PM
  • I don't mean to sound rude, but I know about all of those options (I am currently using SyncBackSE to achieve basically the same functionality). What I was more getting at is that it would just be a nice feature to add to WHS that would follow with the trend towards "simple enough for a 'normal' person to setup". A "normal" person isn't going to know or want the hassle to setup a 3rd party app (or the powertoy) to get this kind of functionality.

I also know that it is possible to work out of the network share, but if you're not on a lightning fast home network it is definitely not as quick as a local copy would be. Also, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement considering the technology is already inside WHS. It would just using incremental backups to update a specific folder.

For a "real world example", suppose mom and dad have a folder of family pictures on their desktop computer. They import the images from the digital camera into their "My pictures" local folder. WHS will make a backup up these when the entire system gets backed up over night, BUT ideally the desktop connector should be monitoring this directory (because they set it up to), and it will notice that you've recently changed the contents of the folder which would trigger a quick backup of all these new pictures to the server's "pictures" folder. This is important because "normal" users aren't necessarily going to remember to upload their local files over to the server...this would automate that process for them.

I know for a fact that they'd really like this. My mother has this problem with Flickr right now. She imports the pictures, but she often forgets to upload them to Flickr (as a backup). Automation is important for "normal" users who are more prone to forgetting things...

In the end, it's not a deal breaker, but it would jsut be yet another useful thing that WHS could offer.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 2:23 PM