Size of uploaded attachments on CRM online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am migrating a CRM 2013 premise database (actually upgraded from CRM 4 via CRM 2011) to CRM 2015 online using Inaport which uses the CRM API. In CRM 2013 premise the SQL annotationbase table is about 4G and has 37k rows - so about 100k per attachment which feels right. But after uploading about 15% of them we got messages saying that online had run out of space. We added 8G more which should easily be fine but have started getting storage full messages after another 35% of them.

This implies that CRMonline is using far more space than premise. Or may be online counts space in a different way.

Anyone ideas. We might just add another 8G but seems strange. There are no background processes which might increase the size in other areas.

Obviously going forward we might use SharePoint but for the legacy data wanted to keep it in the same location as on the original.

Thanks

Paul

Thursday, September 17, 2015 7:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

You may need to give the system an overnight when doing a large migration like this.  The size of data that you are using in the dashboard is the combo of your .mdf and .ldf files.  When doing an import you can accumulate a large amount of .ldf.  These files do get shrunk each night as part of the nightly jobs but that is the only time for the most part.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:12 PM
  • Hi Jarrod Thanks for this - good thought. However we've checked today and it hasn't shrunk, 2 days after we got the message about exceeding it. Looking at the source CRM 2013 database it is 9.5G total and my migration is just copying entity data across - nothing more. Any other ideas? We're raising a support call with Microsoft so I will post what they say.

Paul

Friday, September 18, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Hi

Further information from a post I found

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2013/07/24/understanding-storage-and-storage-notifications-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm-online.aspx

This says the data size does not include log files just data and indexes - so really the MDF. Even more puzzling.

Paul

Friday, September 18, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Hi Paul,

The MS crew will have a better answer.  The calculations definitely could have changed in the last year and change so that they don't include the transaction log anymore.  They should also be able to give you a better snapshot of where your storage is sitting at. 

Monday, September 21, 2015 5:35 PM