WHS Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I've been evaluating WHS on and off for the past few months and so far I've had to rebuild the server three times due to the harddisk randomly becoming corrupt leaving the WHS unable to boot, hanging at the Windows 2003 screen.  I've seen similar posts on the forum and when it happens it takes a painfully long time just to get to that screen so something isnt right.

Of course a rebuild fixes it but I dont want to be doing that every few weeks or so.  I'm well aware of the bug that occurs with some applications and I'm using some of them such as iTunes and AcdSee however if I am indeed suffering from this bug would it corrupt the entire installation of WHS? Is that normal behaviour with this bug?

I see PP1 is now out so I'm hopeful that this will resolve my problem however I was just curious as to whether PP1 will fix it and if other people had had a similar experience.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:54 AM

All replies

• No, this is not normal behavior, and the file corruption issue (fixed in PP1) wouldn't cause operating system corruption like you describe. That sounds more like a storage system issue.

I'm moving this post to the hardware forum; can you reply with more information about your server, i.e. motherboard, additional hardware , drivers, etc.?
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:37 PM
  • WHS unable to boot? That really sounds like a hardware or driver issue.
    I've had a bad motherboard that would corrupt Windows every other month. I tried different drivers and swapping hard drivers. Ultimately I just had to junk it and buy a new one.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Based on your comments I'm pretty certain its a driver issue.  I've got an ASUS SLI mobo in the server and its 100% fine running under Vista and if I recall there are no specific Windows 2003 drivers for some of the devices on it.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:31 PM
  • Two things:
    1. You haven't by any chance overclocked your server, have you? In general, I don't think you get enough out of overclocking to be worth the effort, considering that you may be sacrificing a great deal of stability for a small amount of performance. In particular, running memory outside it's specifications can be a very bad idea; I've seen a range of problems occur as a result of bad memory, right up to OS corruption that required wiping the disk.
    2. If you should decide you'd like to replace your motherboard, let us know how it turns out?
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:14 AM
  • It's an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and it does overclock very well apparently however I've never bothered with overclocking my PCs unless they are very old just to get a bit of extra life out of them.  I wont be replacing the mobo just so I can run WHS sadly as it works perfectly fine with Vista or XP.  The main reason for wanting to run WHS tho was so I could utilise the folder replication instead of running backups at fixed times or adhoc.

I might give it another go and try some different drivers perhaps at some point as I've got a spare HD.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:24 AM