none
Forum Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have attempted to give these forums some time, but there seems to be more issues each time I attempt to use them.

First issue: printing out a response within Internet Explorer browser= fails as in the first 1 inch or more of the text is cut off and not printing. It is hard to read and have full access while on site sometimes and a good printout should not be too much to ask.  The browser I attempted this under was Internet Explorer 6.0 if that is needed at all.

The notifications have been discussed way too much and way too long. Something obviously is broken and the FAQ on it does not go far enough for troubleshooting. I posted 2 threads on the same forum- for 2 different issues and 1 thread I go the notification and the 2nd I did not.  There is no sort by thread start under user name for posts in a forum that I can find. It takes way too long to come back to the forum and find the post manually. The notifications worked on 1 of the 2 posts I made but still had to search for the 2nd post that no notification. If an attempt to search most times I got the Error 500 generic page (in all languages supported for the site) and report that the search with no results found or the error.

Monday, February 22, 2010 7:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

Couple of points:

1) First issue: printing out a response within Internet Explorer browser= fails as in the first 1 inch or more of the text is cut off and not printing. It is hard to read and have full access while on site sometimes and a good printout should not be too much to ask.  The browser I attempted this under was Internet Explorer 6.0 if that is needed at all.

- We don't have direct printing features as part of the Forums app, however, we do have some bugs around printing a thread from any browser. Depending which browser you use the layout could be different. IE 6, you'll have difficulties printing. In general there are know IE 6 UI issues. We have feature request on printing support for Forums, it's in our backlog however no ETA as to when it will get implemented.

2) The notifications have been discussed way too much and way too long. Something obviously is broken and the FAQ on it does not go far enough for troubleshooting. I posted 2 threads on the same forum- for 2 different issues and 1 thread I go the notification and the 2nd I did not.

What's the other thread that you're not getting notifications for?

3) There is no sort by thread start under user name for posts in a forum that I can find. It takes way too long to come back to the forum and find the post manually. The notifications worked on 1 of the 2 posts I made but still had to search for the 2nd post that no notification. If an attempt to search most times I got the Error 500 generic page (in all languages supported for the site) and report that the search with no results found or the error

Searching for thread contributions and or thread starter is not directly supported in the Forums app (meaning a search box exposed). However, you can still accomplish this by following the steps that I've posted (work-around) on this thread.
    Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

Couple of points:

1) First issue: printing out a response within Internet Explorer browser= fails as in the first 1 inch or more of the text is cut off and not printing. It is hard to read and have full access while on site sometimes and a good printout should not be too much to ask.  The browser I attempted this under was Internet Explorer 6.0 if that is needed at all.

- We don't have direct printing features as part of the Forums app, however, we do have some bugs around printing a thread from any browser. Depending which browser you use the layout could be different. IE 6, you'll have difficulties printing. In general there are know IE 6 UI issues. We have feature request on printing support for Forums, it's in our backlog however no ETA as to when it will get implemented.

2) The notifications have been discussed way too much and way too long. Something obviously is broken and the FAQ on it does not go far enough for troubleshooting. I posted 2 threads on the same forum- for 2 different issues and 1 thread I go the notification and the 2nd I did not.

What's the other thread that you're not getting notifications for?

3) There is no sort by thread start under user name for posts in a forum that I can find. It takes way too long to come back to the forum and find the post manually. The notifications worked on 1 of the 2 posts I made but still had to search for the 2nd post that no notification. If an attempt to search most times I got the Error 500 generic page (in all languages supported for the site) and report that the search with no results found or the error

Searching for thread contributions and or thread starter is not directly supported in the Forums app (meaning a search box exposed). However, you can still accomplish this by following the steps that I've posted (work-around) on this thread.
    Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:13 AM
  • I have some updates to the forum issues. First I did finally see the My Forum Links box over on the right hand side and it has a My Threads button that will show only threads that I have started and I can much more quickly see the status and if there are any replies or updates.

Second comment on the printing with Internet Explorer 6- I have just tested on a Windows 7 computer with Internet Explorer 8 and the latest updates on a new system and can report that the printing issues seem to be much better and will have to just start using the IE 8 or higher browser for the threads if printing is needed.

I will now print out the FAQ on the threads notification as well as play some with your suggested searching work around. Searching for keywords would make this so much more usable, since many times other threads started may have suggestions and info that apply to the same problems and starting a new thead still takes (due to the nature of the forum rules and response) more time than being able to read through a few other threads on the same or similar topics via a search.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 7:44 PM