Login created in SQL during CRM 2011 install RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me what the significance is of the login named MSCRMSqlClrLogin created in SQL during the CRM 2011 install?

It doesn't show the domain, nor does it have access to any database.

Can I delete it?

Friday, April 20, 2012 3:37 AM

Answers

• Here is an official response from Microsoft Support for anyone interested:

Scope:

The scope of the case is to resolve the issue where you are looking for more information about what the "mscrmsqlclr" SQL username is and what it does in CRM 2011. If a new issue comes to light while resolving this issue, a new case will need to be created.

Assessment:

Thank you for your time on the phone this afternoon.

Basically, this username is needed by CRM and was left off of implementation information for some reason. I believe they are looking to get it added.

However, here is a blurb about what it is and what it does:

MSCRMSqlCLRLogin is used for timezone conversions when you run dashboards, charts and advanced finds. It is solely used for the process of converting time zones and information along those lines.

As you stated, you would like to disable it. That can be done, just please know a few concequences of this:

• You cannot provision new organizations with this disabled.
    • You will not be able to import customizations to dashboards and charts, or anything that uses time zone information.
    • Time zone conversion will not perform as fast, especially with Advanced Finds
    • There could be other issues, but they have not been noted.

I would say it is best practice to leave it active, but that is up to you. Just know that any issues you run into could be the result of this.

I am currently looking for more information on this. I am trying to find if there is any externally-facing documentation. 

Monday, April 23, 2012 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi AdmiralConsulting,

If you want to create new organizations in the future and you remove this user you will get the following error while creating a new organization. This user is granted to run unsafe clr assemblies on the SQL and is used by CRM. I would not recommend deleting it.

Regards,
    Damian Sinay

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:23 AM
  • Here is an official response from Microsoft Support for anyone interested:

Scope:

The scope of the case is to resolve the issue where you are looking for more information about what the "mscrmsqlclr" SQL username is and what it does in CRM 2011. If a new issue comes to light while resolving this issue, a new case will need to be created.

Assessment:

Thank you for your time on the phone this afternoon.

Basically, this username is needed by CRM and was left off of implementation information for some reason. I believe they are looking to get it added.

However, here is a blurb about what it is and what it does:

MSCRMSqlCLRLogin is used for timezone conversions when you run dashboards, charts and advanced finds. It is solely used for the process of converting time zones and information along those lines.

As you stated, you would like to disable it. That can be done, just please know a few concequences of this:

• You cannot provision new organizations with this disabled.
    • You will not be able to import customizations to dashboards and charts, or anything that uses time zone information.
    • Time zone conversion will not perform as fast, especially with Advanced Finds
    • There could be other issues, but they have not been noted.

I would say it is best practice to leave it active, but that is up to you. Just know that any issues you run into could be the result of this.

I am currently looking for more information on this. I am trying to find if there is any externally-facing documentation. 

Monday, April 23, 2012 3:03 PM