General Impressions RRS feed

• General discussion

• Preface: Yes, I know it is beta software, no I am not trashing the product or Microsoft, and please hold your "works great here" comments.

These comments are posted only to give Microsoft developers a general feel for my experience with the product. Bug reports are being filed for all issues.

The product started out working great, but issues have developed ovr time that would go beyond the frustration of the average user. Backups have failed, backups are shown as incomplete, and backup reminders send inconsistent messages. I know, from reading bug reports, that there are a lot of backup issues and they should improve with future versions. However, it does seem that the major issue, from a user standpoint, is that if backups do not complete, for whatever reason, they must restart or continue automatically. If a machine is shutdown at the scheduled time, or loses connectivity, then the backup should resume.

Right now, WHS is not recognizing a connected and working usb external drive. These drives are very popular forms of storage and need to be easily recognized. Everything was fine with this drive yesterday and it works fine when installed on another computer. The most disturbing part of this experience, from a home user standpoint, is the suggestion that re-installing WHS may be the solution to the problem. I believe that most home users will abandon the product, if asked to re-install the product.

Finally, in a most frustrating mystery, the WHS console on my laptop was able to tell me that a drive had "failed," but was unable to connect to the server. How the heck did it know the drive had failed, if it couldn't connect? This would drive the average home user to bang their head against the wall in frustration.

WHS is  a great product and the consumer response to it should be enthusiastic. Fixing these issues over the course of testing and keeping the level of frustration low for the end user will, I believe, make this one of the finest Microsoft products ever released.

BTW...what the heck is the problem with this page. I've tried six times to post this message and it does nothing. I'm using IE7, cuz I know better than to use firefox on a Microsoft page, so shouldn't it work!?  (edit - the page loading problem was Zone Alarm related)

Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:36 PM

All replies

• I think this is a really usefull piece of software and the only thing that concerns me is that it is being targeted for OEM only. I don't know if this is true but it's the feeling I am getting from the forums. If so I think that MS are misssing out on a huge potential market. I know a lot of people that would buy a piece of software but would be unwilling to do so if the only way to gat it was to buy a 1500 pound piece of hardware.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:47 PM
  • Programs running in the background that access the partition being backed up tend to cause me to receive the backup incomplete error message.

I do wish I was able to select just the one folder instead of the whole hard drive. 

Sunday, February 25, 2007 7:12 PM
  •  Fingersthebeaver wrote:
    I think this is a really usefull piece of software and the only thing that concerns me is that it is being targeted for OEM only. I don't know if this is true but it's the feeling I am getting from the forums. If so I think that MS are misssing out on a huge potential market. I know a lot of people that would buy a piece of software but would be unwilling to do so if the only way to gat it was to buy a 1500 pound piece of hardware.

The question of OEM vs. standalone is discussed here (and elsewhere, but that's the first one I could find). Basically, WHS will be available through both channels.

--
    Ken
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:14 PM