Xbox360 Streaming Stutters Badly RRS feed

• Question

• I'm streaming video on my Xbox 360 directly from my server.  The problem is i can't go for more then 40 minutes worth of streaming with out the performance going from perfect, and i do mean perfect, to a bad power point slide show from 1993.  While this is going on, i can see that the server is heavily accessing all my drives. 

I can't seem to figure out why this is happening, it's not a consistant, but it does coincide with demigrator shooting up it's activity.  I have 2 1.5TB drives, and a 1TB drive in my system.

I don't know where to start finding a solution to the problem, but this doesn't seem to be one every one is experiencing, at least since the beta.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:45 AM

Answers

• I'm streaming video on my Xbox 360 directly from my server.  The problem is i can't go for more then 40 minutes worth of streaming with out the performance going from perfect, and i do mean perfect, to a bad power point slide show from 1993.  While this is going on, i can see that the server is heavily accessing all my drives. 

I can't seem to figure out why this is happening, it's not a consistant, but it does coincide with demigrator shooting up it's activity.  I have 2 1.5TB drives, and a 1TB drive in my system.

I don't know where to start finding a solution to the problem, but this doesn't seem to be one every one is experiencing, at least since the beta.

What about streaming the same videos on your client PCs?  Do they stutter then?  What are the hardware specs of your server?  Is your XBox 360 wireless?
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Actually, this is a very common problem with WHS, and is mentioned on many boards. I have noticed the most frequent response is along the lines of " I am not having any issues". Intel PCI NICS help sometimes. Sometimes not.
    See more suggestions here : http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?showtopic=8335 .

Ben Ogilvie
    Ben Ogilvie
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:34 PM

All replies

What about streaming the same videos on your client PCs?  Do they stutter then?  What are the hardware specs of your server?  Is your XBox 360 wireless?
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:37 PM
  • My Xbox is wired, it's at 100Mbs because that's what it comes with, not that it matters, i'm not coming close to maxing out that bandwidth.  The stuttering does happen on client PC's but not nearly to the same extent, as in choppy for a moment or 2, but not screetching it to a halt.  It's almost as if wmccds can't compete with demigrator when it's going.

My specs are Intel Core Dou 2.13 Ghz, 2GB of RAM

I'm running 4 Hard drives (not in a raid) 2@ 1.5 TB, 1@ 1TB, and 1@ 320 GB (system drive)

Standard Realtek NIC

and my Mother board is an MSI P43 NEO3

The streaming is fine when Demigrator is not running up the CPU, although it never goes over 22% at it's peak
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:49 AM
  • My Xbox is wired, it's at 100Mbs because that's what it comes with, not that it matters, i'm not coming close to maxing out that bandwidth.  The stuttering does happen on client PC's but not nearly to the same extent, as in choppy for a moment or 2, but not screetching it to a halt.  It's almost as if wmccds can't compete with demigrator when it's going.

My specs are Intel Core Dou 2.13 Ghz, 2GB of RAM

I'm running 4 Hard drives (not in a raid) 2@ 1.5 TB, 1@ 1TB, and 1@ 320 GB (system drive)

Standard Realtek NIC

and my Mother board is an MSI P43 NEO3

The streaming is fine when Demigrator is not running up the CPU, although it never goes over 22% at it's peak

I don't have any stuttering at all (and my 360 is wireless).  Are you using Server 2003 drivers for your NIC?
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Actually, this is a very common problem with WHS, and is mentioned on many boards. I have noticed the most frequent response is along the lines of " I am not having any issues". Intel PCI NICS help sometimes. Sometimes not.
    See more suggestions here : http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?showtopic=8335 .

Ben Ogilvie
    Ben Ogilvie
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:34 PM