Servers switch off RRS feed

• Question

• I live in an area which occasionally has a loss of power in the winter that may take many hours to restore.   If I opt to use WHS will there be any effect on the restart or will this just be like a workstation computer- press the power button and away we go!?
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 11:44 AM

Answers

• If you have frequent power failures you might want to invest in a UPS. This isn't so much to keep your server running as to provide it with notification that the power has failed and enough time (possibly a couple of minutes) to perform a graceful shutdown. I have a small (Liebert) UPS that's connected to my production server. I have a server that I use for testing, however, and it's never had a problem even though it's not on a UPS.

The restart is as simple as you suggest. Turn it on and wait for it to finish booting.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:55 PM

All replies

• If you have frequent power failures you might want to invest in a UPS. This isn't so much to keep your server running as to provide it with notification that the power has failed and enough time (possibly a couple of minutes) to perform a graceful shutdown. I have a small (Liebert) UPS that's connected to my production server. I have a server that I use for testing, however, and it's never had a problem even though it's not on a UPS.

The restart is as simple as you suggest. Turn it on and wait for it to finish booting.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:55 PM
  • Many thanks for the information
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:30 PM