White Screen when connecting to remote PC RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone experienced this issue?

I went to connecto to my PC at home like I always do, I logged in, selected the PC from the menu, clicked connect and the popup window came up like it's supposed to. But all i got was a white screen (sorta where the active x notification comes up) and the status bar showed up as DONE. 

So i tried again and same thing. I reset the browser settiings thinking that it might be the active X acting up, i got it to some up asking me if I wanted to install it, I said yes and same thing happened. I got the DONE at the bottom but no connection.

I submitted a bug report about an hour ago but I figured I would post here too just in case anyone has had this problem before.

Thank you for your time

Paul

P.S I am using IE 7.

• Edited by pachisss Monday, August 4, 2008 6:51 PM added browser info
    Monday, August 4, 2008 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Anyone who has had, or is having, this problem: If you wouldn't mind submitting a bug report with your logs, we'd appreciate it.  Instructions for collecting logs and submitting a bug report are in an Announcement at the top of the forums.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:08 PM

All replies

• I know you posted this a while back and noted that you filed a bug report, but I'll confirm that I have never experienced this. I'll be interested in learning the cause.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Any weird, or changed/updated, anti-virus, anti-malware or pop-up blocker software in use? And is that Vista or XP that you're running on your system that's having the problem? Since it worked before, you have to think that it's something that "changed" somewhere/somehow - do you have Windows Automatic Updates turned on? Did it grab anything?

Did you look in the Application Event Log and see whether there are any errors or messages registered there?
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Me and my friend have figured out what you need to do to fix this.

We both installed Live Mesh with UAC disabled... has always worked and updated.

It still updates

But remote desktop gets white screen.

We both turn on UAC restarted and then both of had are problem fixed. He can connect to me and I can connect to his desktop.

What ever you guys did to UAC recently broke remote desktop and gives the white screen.

Turn on UAC or not use mesh remote desktop!

Please fix

and BTW Live mesh is the best piece of software I have used period. The feature and concept are great.

I can put a file in my folder on my D drive and my friends pc it shows up in his live folder and his D drive...

We both use Vista 64 if that matters
    • Proposed as answer by OneWayJonny Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:59 PM
  • can anyone else confirm or a Microsoft rep read this and at least confirm and mark as an answer?

how do we go about getting this fixed... I need to be able to remote desk in and keep UAC off

PLEASE!
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

Anyone who has had, or is having, this problem: If you wouldn't mind submitting a bug report with your logs, we'd appreciate it.  Instructions for collecting logs and submitting a bug report are in an Announcement at the top of the forums.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:08 PM
  • I concur.

I had the same problem when UAC was turned off for a reason to avoid all those annoying over-security settings.

With UAC turned off, you CAN NOT remote into your remote PC with Mesh.

With UAC turned on, you CAN remote into your remote PC with Mesh.

Now normally, turning on/off a feature will not be a big deal to me...buuuuuut...having to reboot just that UAC?!?!?  That is REEEEEAAALLY ANNOYING.  I have to spend about 5 minutes for each boot... what a draaaaaag. 
    SysAdmin
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:11 AM
  • I also have the same problem. And yes when turning UAC on I am able to connect.
    I hope there will be a quick fix soon..
    • Edited by George_1979 Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:46 PM
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:44 PM